• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HP Slate sees surprise demand, new orders delayed into 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
HP Slate sees surprise demand, new orders delayed into 2011
HP Slate sees surprise demand, new orders delayed into 2011 | Electronista
[Update: According to reports, HP only built a limited production run of 5000 HP Slate 500s, but were hit up for 9000 orders. In order to appease customers, those who have been forced to wait for new slates to be built have been given a $100 refund due to the delay.]
So yeah 5000 sold and 9000 ordered by the people. If I remember correctly Apple sold way more than 9000 on day 1. And sold out very fast too. 9000 is not much really in the big scheme of things.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Truly amazing. I guess I should withhold judgment until the final product is released, but slate-style Windows machines have been done so many times before that it's hard to believe there would be pent-up demand for yet another variant.

I suppose I'm biased by having deployed convertible tablet PCs for my company on multiple occasions, only to see them being used as netbooks once they are fully deployed - and begrudgingly at that (the users HATED them).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Truly amazing. I guess I should withhold judgment until the final product is released, but slate-style Windows machines have been done so many times before that it's hard to believe there would be pent-up demand for yet another variant.

Agreed, But you have these die hard Windows people, Who won't dare go the route of Android or iOS.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed, But you have these die hard Windows people, Who won't dare go the route of Android or iOS.

My uncle, used to own a used car dealership - one of his favorite sayings was "there is an <insert three letter expletive for butt here> for every seat", literally and figuratively. I suppose that's true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
My uncle, used to own a used car dealership - one of his favorite sayings was "there is an <insert three letter expletive for butt here> for every seat", literally and figuratively. I suppose that's true.

Here's an example my Aunt has been a Network Engineer for about 17 years. She knows her stuff when it comes to computers and she keeps up to date on technology, Never once has she owned an iPod,Mac,iPad,iPhone or anything Apple, She is strictly MS all the way. There are lots of people just like that, I guess it comes from working with the same thing all the time,You become closed minded.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Or there re people that enjoy having a device that's more open. I had to pay $4 to download a decent file manager for my iPad. It's jailbroken by the way.

AFAIK, if they're using Windows on a tablet, it'll be similar to using windows on a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Wonder if these will have Windows 7 Starter as in the netbooks since the power and cpu/ram will be to low to efficiently run Windows 7 Home Premium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Not a Windows fan here, but I do hope it does well. Tablets are never going to "take over the world" as many people seem to want to see happen, until there is more available than just the iPad. Personally, I'm rooting for a decent Android/Linux based tablet to come along with a nice price point. A tablet that is both affordable and isn't tied to a cellular carrier to make it affordable would be a nice one in my book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The downside to a Windows based tablet, Is that it's not a Touch based UI. I think anyone who wants to make a decent Tablet is going to have to go with a OS that's designed for touch screens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.