Trying to build my own "Apple" second monitor for my 21.5" iMac

Reaction score
I am building a second monitor for my 21.5" iMac. So What I am doing is putting the guts from a 21.5" monitor (dell, HP, etc...) inside an empty iMac case.
APPLE IMAC 21.5" REAR HOUSING W/ANTENNA CABLE 922-9143 - eBay (item 200512719856 end time Nov-13-10 00:37:06 PST)
What I need to know is does anyone know what screen would match size wise? I am trying to keep the cost way down. Here are some of the monitors I am considering for the to use for the lcd for the project.

Amazon.com: LG E2250T-PN 22-Inch Class Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black: Computer & Accessories: Reviews, Prices & more
Because its a cheap LED backlit.

UltraSharp U2211H 21.5 inch Monitor Details
Because its LED backlit with IPS.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Form the outside of the imac screen, it measures 21.5. From the inside, it measures...I think it was a bit over 22. 22.4 inches I believe(?). What you have to figure out is the interior screen dimensions of compatible screens, which you should do after receiving the 21.5 housing to double check it's size. You also have to check the viewing pixels because not all screens show an image from edge to edge(you mostly have to worry about the image not being hidden under the imac housing. Good luck...something tells me you might need a bunch of drinks...before and after:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Haha! Drinks are what created the idea in the first place!! :)
Actually, I still have to find a glass front to measure the viewable area..

Reaction score
Re:

Hey, first off did you succeed???

I ask as im trying the same thing. Worked out the LCD panel apple use is the:

LG LM215WF3 (SA) (A1)

should help with your research (fyi the dell monitor is great and in principle would work well)

the LG panel is hard to come across and seems very expensive everywhere other than ebay where they rarely come up :( hopefully this will change when the new IPS monitors by LG come out.

Anyhow if you could update me on your progress it would be great to hear.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey, so yeah I have pretty much succeeded in getting the parts for the monitor but have not put it all together yet.. I ended up going with the LG I listed at the beginning of the thread.. Right now, I have the screen attached to the glass front and it looks like it will cover edge to edge but have not powered it up yet. I had some problems getting the iMac I ordered (in october!) but it is finally in the mail. But now that I am thinking about it I don't have the (mini dvi??) adapter needed for the output from the iMac to use the dvi input on the display I am building.. This is my first mac.. Off to online shopping I go.. I'll get some pics up soon..

OP
M
Reaction score
Yup mini displayport is what it is.. Thanks. you saved me from getting the wrong adapter.. man those sure do look very similar.. glad you said that! Ordered soe various ones off amazon... VGA, DVI, HDMI... so I'll have options..

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm still working on this.. I'm in Cyprus so I have to order EVERYTHING I need for it..
The big thing I was waiting on were the screws that hold the stand to the "mechanism" no kidding, Apples name for the swivel that connects the imac stand to the imac itself is mechanism.. *** try looking up that part without knowing the name.. haha..
Anyhow I have all the parts.. My problem now is trying to permanently affix the LCD to the glass... Hot glue? Silicone? duct tape? lol

OP
M
Reaction score
Here are some pic or progress so far...
In image 74 is the panel that I need to connect the monitor and power to.. looking for the best way to do that... I'm thinking about putting a DVI jumper cable to the displayport adapter and leaving the displayport adapter inside the case, and run a displayport to displayport cable from the imac to the second screen.. Also in image 77 is the touch panel to turn on the monitor.. trying to figure out where to put that... thinking about maybe in the bottom as seen in image 84..
I just have it mocked up with duct tape holding the screen to the glass at the moment.. I still have not turned it on to see if the image covers the viewable area...

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 67
Reaction score
dont afix the screen to the glass!!! it needs to be secured into the aluminium body, this may mean getting/making a frame to use the apple allocated screw holes. Looking good so far tho! was there no way to connect the lcd power etc to the apple power button on the back?

OP
M
Reaction score
Too late... Already attached the screen to the glass... There is no way I could have used apples mounting hardware (If I could have even found it)

Reaction score
Cost?

How much was the final cost? Also how does the image quality compare to original monitor?

Reaction score
Looks good! I would like a second monitor but don't want to pay apple prices and at the same time I don't want cosmetically different cases.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
WHY bother with all this hassle - when it won't ever be the same as the real deal ?

Reaction score
WHY bother with all this hassle - when it won't ever be the same as the real deal ?

There are many reasons why someone would want to do something like this.

Here are a couple I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Save Money
2. "Build" something yourself - pride

Everyone has a different perspective, so just because you would not want to do it, does not mean another person cares about the "real deal"

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Fair enough !;D

I do not pride myself on my abilities with my hands etc !

Reaction score
great job, I've been looking into getting a second monitor for my imac, and have my mind set on the dell you linked. I like it match in function when it comes to the colours and use than getting a tn LCD.

I've stripped the casing of an old emac at work, and still thinking what I want to do with it. Either drop a 15" TFT and either an atom/windows based micro pc or mac mini or make it to a fish tank. this have given me some extra mojo to do something with the case now. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.