Bluetooth pairing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" OS X 10.10
Hi, new member here. After 15+years with windows, I have now come over to the other side!:D
I wish I'd done it years ago; I'm loving my new MacBook Pro, much more reliable and user friendly.
I'm just having a problem pairing my iPhone 3Gs and hope someone can help.

Using the "pairing assistant", the MacBook gets as far as recognising the iPhone and generates a pairing number. The iPhone recognises the pairing number. I then press "pair" on the iPhone, but the pairing then fails, showing a times out fault.

I have tried and tried but cannot get further then this point.

The iPhone Bluetooth connection pairs perfectly well with my in car SatNav.

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated

Cheers..................Brian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What is it that you're hoping to do via bluetooth pairing with your MBP?

If you're thinking you'll sync it via bluetooth, not gonna happen, sorry. Have to use the cable. The bluetooth function built into the iPhone is very basic and really only provides headphone and phone support.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.
I've got the hang of syncing calandar, contacts, apps etc.with iTunes, but I want to transfer office files (spreadsheets etc.) from my MacBook the the phone. There doesn't seem to be an option to do this in iTunes, or, have I missed something?
Alternatively, when I connect the cable, I would have expected my phone to be recognised under devices in "finder" in order to drop and drag files to the phone but this doesn't happen; again, have I missed something?

In answer to your question, the bluetooth menu has an option to "send file" and I was hoping to use this and that is really the only reason I need a pairing between the two.

The only other option I have is to email myself with the files as attachments but this isn't really practical if files are large or I don't have a WiFi or weak phone signal.
Thank you, all help greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I can't be much help there, just don't take those type of docs outside the office. From what I've read though, a lot of folks are using google docs for this. You might check that out. Hopefully, some more business oriented users will respond for you.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,
Just thought I'd post this for anyone else looking for a way of transferring files from their MacBook to iPhone.
I've found a great app called iExplorer on the internet (a simple google search will soon find it) and it works great for dragging and dropping files between the two.
I realise this might be "old news" for many, but for me, as a new Apple user, it was quite a breakthrough.
Hope you find this helpful
Cheers.............Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.