iBook Dual USB - Cover Closed?

H

Harryc

I want to run an external display and keyboard connected to my 1.33Ghz 14" dual USB iBook. I had thought that I could simply close the cover and use the power button on an Apple keyboard to start it. Then, while researching the right procedure, I ran across the linked article. It looks like I 'must' run with the cover open. Is this similar to everyone else's experience? Any work-arounds? I guess heat is a big factor on these machines with the cover closed? It's a shame really, I have had many laptops over the years and this is the first one I have had with this flaw. Maybe Apple needs to spend more time on cooling solutions.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88199

OP
T

Tel

The ibook dissipates most of its heat through its keyboard, closing the screen while running the computer would cause a lot of heat to be trapped and worse than that, a lot of heat on your screen. Not only would you be risking a lot of damage to your screen, your machine would be running a lot hotter than it should.

If I were in your position, I would just use the screen spanning hack to use both screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The Dual USB iBook was from 2001 (500 mhz G3)

Your iBook is just the late 2004 model

OP
H

Harryc

trpnmonkey41 said:
The Dual USB iBook was from 2001 (500 mhz G3)

Your iBook is just the late 2004 model
Well, the new iBooks have (2) USB ports, but anyway, is that article only refering to the 2001 iBooks? and if that is the case, is it ok to run the new ones with the cover closed. Apparently it is no problem on a powerbook. What is the difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All iBooks from the 2001 dual usb model have had 2 usb ports, they just named the 2001 model Dual USB because it was the first to have the 2 usb ports. It is still not a good idea to run with the cover closed, you run the risk of frying your computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBooks lids completely seal off the keyboard whereas there is a gap in PowerBooks. PowerBooks also have more ventilation out the back of the computer than the iBooks where almost all heat escapes through the keyboard

OP
H

Harryc

Ok thanks for the info. I wish that it could be confirmed by an Apple article or information in the manual,, neither of which I can find. The problem with perpetuating old information about a manufactured computer, is that there is a possibility that the manufacturer has fixed the issue in the latest models.

OP
H

Harryc

Here is a direct cut and paste from the mac help system on my iBook...

Using your portable computer with the lid closed
With some portable computers, you can use your computer with the display closed. For example, you might want to close your computer when using it to give a presentation on an external monitor connected to your computer.

To use the computer with the lid closed, you must connect it to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The power adapter must be plugged into the computer and an outlet.

To operate your portable with an external monitor attached and the display closed:
Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your portable.
Connect the power adapter to the portable and an outlet.
Close the portable display to put the computer to sleep.
Connect your portable to an external display.
Wait a few seconds and then press any key on the external keyboard to wake the portable.

See also
laptop

OP
H

Harryc

trpnmonkey41 said:
iBooks lids completely seal off the keyboard
I don't see a tight seal. There are rubber bumpers on the display lid that raise it off the keyboard surface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harryc said:
I don't see a tight seal. There are rubber bumpers on the display lid that raise it off the keyboard surface.

Those are to keep the keyboard from pressing into the display but the rim of the case doesn't leave gaps on the whole perimeter of the computer. When you are looking at the front of a closed iBook you can't see into the computer at all. With powerbooks you can see right into the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
The Powerbook screens are considerably thinner... So heat can transfer much easier... They also have larger vents at the base of the screen than the iBooks do... and the fact they are made of a thinner aluminum type material also allows them to transfer heat easier.

OP
B

bhanson

Harryc said:
I want to run an external display and keyboard connected to my 1.33Ghz 14" dual USB iBook. I had thought that I could simply close the cover and use the power button on an Apple keyboard to start it. Then, while researching the right procedure, I ran across the linked article. It looks like I 'must' run with the cover open. Is this similar to everyone else's experience? Any work-arounds? I guess heat is a big factor on these machines with the cover closed? It's a shame really, I have had many laptops over the years and this is the first one I have had with this flaw. Maybe Apple needs to spend more time on cooling solutions.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88199

I'd rather have the heat coming out of the keyboard. Or would you rather have the heat spraying out on your lap? :)

It's not a design flaw, IMO.

OP
H

Harryc

bhanson said:
I'd rather have the heat coming out of the keyboard. Or would you rather have the heat spraying out on your lap? :)

It's not a design flaw, IMO.
No, I'd rather have it routed to a fan which pushes the heat out the back or sides like a properly designed machine should or minimally grills which allow the heat to flow towards the same spots..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harryc said:
No, I'd rather have it routed to a fan which pushes the heat out the back or sides like a properly designed machine should or minimally grills which allow the heat to flow towards the same spots..

Ah.. yes... like my "properly" designed toshiba laptop that just fried itself after only a couple years from overheating... even though it sounded like a airplane taking off because of it's numerous fans pushing heat out.

The iBook is designed to be a consumer laptop... Most consumer level customers don't use monitors with their laptops... It wasn't a design flaw. It was a design choice based on the needs of the target market for the iBook. If you need to use a machine closed that is what the PB was designed for.

OP
B

bhanson

sarahsboy18 said:
Ah.. yes... like my "properly" designed toshiba laptop that just fried itself after only a couple years from overheating... even though it sounded like a airplane taking off because of it's numerous fans pushing heat out.

The iBook is designed to be a consumer laptop... Most consumer level customers don't use monitors with their laptops... It wasn't a design flaw. It was a design choice based on the needs of the target market for the iBook. If you need to use a machine closed that is what the PB was designed for.

Might I also add that the iBook is completely silent? The only way you can hear it running is if you physically put your ear against it.

OP
H

Harryc

sarahsboy18 said:
Ah.. yes... like my "properly" designed toshiba laptop that just fried itself after only a couple years from overheating... even though it sounded like a airplane taking off because of it's numerous fans pushing heat out..
Must be another bad design. I've had nothing but Thinkpads. They spend their lives docked with the lid closed 85% of the time and I never had an issue, and this is over 15 years combined service I'd guess. It's not a problem, this is just new territory for me that may take awhile to get used to. I am going to try that dual display hack, that sounds cool.

OP
H

Harryc

sarahsboy18 said:
The iBook is designed to be a consumer laptop... Most consumer level customers don't use monitors with their laptops.
Then why does apple include an external monitor port and cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harryc said:
Then why does apple include an external monitor port and cable?

Although I'm sure the ability to use a secondary monitor with the iBook was a consideration... The primary purpose for including it would be for visual presentation purposes such as keynote or powerpoint... A function that students in particular might need. Apple aims for it's target market... And nothing more... It can be frustrating at times for those of us who are "power users." But it is hard to find a laptop that is better suited for basic computing and the needs of students than the iBook... That was Apple's goal... And they designed accordingly.

It's the same reason they didn't include a mic/line in jack... For the most part, only a power user would it... Your basic consumer will be just as happy with the built in mic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.