I am very confused....Hard disk, Memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26ghz 4GB, iPod nano 1st & 3rd gen., iPod touch 2nd gen.
let me try and explain a little bit of what happen, i am not sure if there is an explanation but hey maybe it has happened to others and someone might have an answer...

My story:
about two weeks ago.. i got all these programs for photos and also music, and then i realized i needed a RAM upgrade because 2 gb was nothing, and also noticed that my 160 gb hard disk was about to be half way full.

2 weeks later.. i had gotten my new memory that i had bought at crucial..4 gb (max for my MBP) and trying to be all excited and stuff i started to open all these programs and then went to activity monitor to see how amazing it was that my computer was running faster......... it opened up with disk usage selected and now it says i have 102 gb free. when before it seriously was at half and im sure of this because i even started looking into hard drives because of it.. now i went through my applications and their all there.. i did the upgrade of the ram correctly and didnt even mess with the hard disk or anything else..

explain? im not super smart with computer so i dont know if im just asking a random dumb question or if there is a connection here. i just want feedback :)

btw memory is running GREAT :) crucial rocks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Did you empty your trash can? Even if you put stuff in the trash bin it's still on your computer until you empty it.

You can also try using this application, called Disk Inventory X. It basically tells you what's on your HDD and how much space those items are taking up on your HDD.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
noo i usually do the securely empty trash thing like once a week and i did it last week so that must not be it.. im not sure, this is very strange but i guess its for the better? lol that means no new update of hard drive any time soon........... until thanksgiving :)

C

chas_m

I'm confused by this post. You say you were concerned because your 160GB hard drive was "half full," meaning you had 80GB free.

Now you have 102GB free. How is this a problem exactly?

Chances are you were using something that ate up a lot of temp space, and since then you've rebooted, which freed up that temp space and there's your extra space back.

If you feel that nothing is missing, I'm not sure what your question is.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
all i was asking was if this was like normal when changing memory. to me it seems like nothing is missing but its not like i know every folder in my whole computer so i might not be looking in the right spot. its not that its a problem. just a problem if the space that i got back was because something was deleted or so.. its not trying to confuse people cuz i myself was confused about how i got all that space back so i was just wondering if anyone had an answer or if this had happen to anyone else. that is all. thanks anyways cuz it could have been the temp because i was mazing out my memory every time i used my computer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.