iTunes Skips Audiobook Chapters?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I know this is a weird place to as what might be a Windows only problem but here are a lot of cross platform guys here do here goes:

My wife has several audiobooks purchased through Audible that she plays through iTunes on her Vista-based Gateway. For several versions of iTunes she has been experiencing a problem that is annoying me to no end now that our computers are in the same room.

1. Audiobooks will sometimes randomly skip past one or more chapters. Once you start the book playing and stop for any reason the next time you play that book it starts skipping (seemingly at random).

2. If you have multiple books by the same author it may skip to either a different section of the book you are playing or to a different book by the same author

3. I don't think it skips to books by a different author. So, it does not for example, skip from a book by Larry Niven to a book by Anne Rice.

Either I am a very bad Googler or there is not much relevant out there. I have tried numerous searches. Everything seems to relate to either music skipping or different skipping patterns for audiobooks.
Mods feel free to blast this thread into the digital ether if I have violated digital Karma by posting a Windows question in a Mac forum.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I ask my win questions here when I can't find the answer.

Can't help though. I've got about 100 books from Audible, but I do all my listening to them from my iPod or iPhone. I have had an occasion or two to use Audible's support and they either came through or got me pointed in the right direction to fix my issues.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ask my win questions here when I can't find the answer.

That's good to know. My wife, a dedicated Windows user, hates most Windows related forums since they tend to get a bit snarky if you ask what they consider a question that is too basic.

As for your suggestion about contacting Audible, I had not thought of that. We didn't realize that it only affected those books until I asked while typing the original post

We are just now beginning to troubleshoot this issue. I think I am also going to load a few books onto the Mac and see if they do the same thing there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll have to manually import them probably. I download all of mine on the Mac and then move them to my HTPC Win7 machine (just as additional backup) and have only rarely been able to move Audible content with Homesharing feature in iTunes. The only tech I talked to at Audible, right after Homesharing came out, told me I'd have to re-dowmload them on the other machine. So, they didn't have any experience with it that time either.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was betting on having to go that direction. Hadn't thought of using Homesharing since that's not a feature I have used yet.

Reaction score
Almost the Same Problem...

I have a "similar" question..I purchased an audiobook directly on my iPhone from iTUnes and was listening to the book when it just jumped ahead about 10 chapters. The problem I have is that I cannot find a way to 'rewind' for 'forward' to the chapter I was at. It seems that every time I start the book, it begins at the first page! Can anyone help?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a "similar" question..I purchased an audiobook directly on my iPhone from iTUnes and was listening to the book when it just jumped ahead about 10 chapters. The problem I have is that I cannot find a way to 'rewind' for 'forward' to the chapter I was at. It seems that every time I start the book, it begins at the first page! Can anyone help?

When I've had the issue of not being able to play sections of a book with any Audible books, it's been due to a bad download. Have never bought one from iTunes, so I don't know if they allow re-downloading of books or not. I'd suggest downloading it to your computer and then sync it from there.

If you need to, go back to the receipt for it and use the link there to report a problem so that they can set it up for you to download it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.