iWeb - Is it for Beginners?

SKW

Reaction score
Hi!
Im totally new to the world of web design but would really find it usefull to learn. I had a play around with iWeb and everything seemed fantasitcally easy to set out for a basic site..
Its alllllll the 'other' bit im struggling with - is it easy for complete beginners to master?

Ive tried looking online for 'an idiots guide'(!) some really simple STEP BY STEP instructions would really help me understand what I need to do in what order etc - can anyone help?

Also ive grasped that MobileMe is one option to publish it to - but does this mean only people with 'MACs' can view the site?

Really welcoming any step by steps, hope you can help :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Publishing to MobileMe does not preclude non-Mac users from viewing your site. Content online is platform agnostic (it'll run on any platform). Although there are some elements of the web that won't run on certain platforms, you should be fine for the most part.

As for iWeb, it is designed for people who don't know a lot about web design and want to make something quickly with relative ease. What do you mean by 'other bit'? Are you trying to do something that iWeb doesn't allow you to do?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As for the guides - have you checked the Help menu? There's a very good "Getting Started" video and also a very straightforward manual.

OP
S

SKW

Reaction score
Thanks,
Well the 'other bit' is basically everything else other than just the creating of the page using iweb...the getting it published up and out there parts.

I have looked at the help guide on iweb which I found usefull until the publishing part, for a complete beginner not having a clue what publishing a website involves I feel like I need a complete and literal 'Step by step' walk through I havent seen the video though? I will have a look...

C

chas_m

Publishing any web site requires that you have some "space" on the web to publish it TO.

MobileMe, among other services, gives you 20GB of space for publishing web sites. Your local ISP may also offer some space for a personal web page, you'll need to check with them about that.

For needs beyond the "personal web page" stage, you'll need to pay for some sort of "hosting" (ie a place to put your web page and a way for people to find it). There are tons of services for that, and tons of confusing add-ons, bandwidth caps and a lot more.

iWeb is a great program to get a personal web page put up on the web. It's a *terrible* program if your goal is to learn HTML/CSS/XML and eventually design web pages professionally. :)

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Holy sh#t, I didn't know I have iWeb on my Mac :D

It really looks cool and easy for beginners, I will use it for simple and quick websites. Thanks guys ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Desktop big screen
iweb

I was a complete and utter BEGINNER when I first tried iweb. It is the absolute greatest. Although it has taken me time to find out all the things iweb has to offer, I would suggest to anyone battling or wanting to know more to view the following website : allaboutiweb.com
I have learnt a huge amount from this site and it is easy to follow.
Enjoy

Reaction score
SKW-

iWeb has been used by a lot of people for a lot of things, and while it is great for entry level personal stuff, there are also businesses the run their websites off of iWeb; granted probably not big commerce sites, but info based websites for certain. It's certainly a great app for getting you going, and it's included in the bundled software on your mac so you don't have to spend any extra money for a program.

The one concern that some people have voiced is that in the latest version of iLife ('11) apple did nothing at all to update iWeb--not even new templates, so there is some question as to whether Apple plans to continue to support the app.

There are a couple of other options out there if you want to spend a minimal amount of money to develop something that might even be a bit more flexible than iWeb and does seem to have current support behind it. One of those is an app called sandvox.

I've not used it, but have considered it. It is still wysiwyg but seems to have a little more going for it. They have a free trial. Could be worth a look. Again, I'm not endorsing it; I've just seen it highly recommended on the Apple iWeb discussion board a couple of times by people who seem to really know their stuff.

I hope you get your site up and running soon. When you do make sure you let us know!
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

Website Creator for Mac: Sandvox. Build a site that gets noticed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Desktop big screen
iWeb or Sandvox?

I just looked at sandvox and it does look great especially in the area of SEO etc. The only thing I can say is that I am glad I battled in iweb for a while because it forced me to learn about what is important about websites and google. I had to do lots of research and in so doing learnt things I don't think I would have otherwise eg learning about keywords, learning about links and link backs from other web sites etc.

I am definitely going to have a good look at sanvox later because of all the templates and ease of use it says it has.

Thanks for the info, I am new to forums and am grateful for the input that everyone gives each other. Really great

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.