My MacBook is Not Shutting Down or Restarting: Help!

Reaction score
Hello, I'm having some problems with my MacBook and I'm not sure if they're hardware related. I bought it in March of 2009 but didn't get the product replacement plan, so I'm stuck with it, and now I'm not sure what is going on. First off, here are the specs:

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Mac OS X 10.5.8

There are a few problems I'm having with it, and I'm trying to avoid taking it in to the Mac store, b/c I'd rather try to download some fixes for it if they're available.

1. It won't shut down or restart. If I give it the command, it closes all the programs but after that, it just looks like it's working on turning off, but it doesn't.

2. Sometimes the mousepad will freeze up and I have to close the lid and open it up again for it to get back to normal. Some other times it will freeze up and nothing will get it to work again, so I have to shut it down by pressing the on/off button.

3. When I push the monitor farther back than a perfect 90 degre angle, the screen goes black, and the only way it will light up again is if I press the lid down as if I was ready to close it.

As I said, I'm not sure if these problems are hardware related or if I should maybe try reinstalling the operating system again. I also thought maybe someone could send me a link to download fixes for free.

Thanks very much. :[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are no fixes to download. What you're describing indicates hardware problems. The screen going off when the lid is tilted back farther than 90 degrees is more than likely a cabling problem. The machine not shutting down properly could also be due to hardware but let's try this first:

Reset the System Management Controller: LINK

You might also wish to run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.