iMac RAM issue

Reaction score
I recently purchased two Kingston 2GB sticks of DDR2 RAM to replace my one stick of 1GB DDR2 RAM. So I removed my 1GB stick and replaced it with a 2GB stick and put another 2GB in the empty slot. But my computer refused to boot up. So I switched out one of the 2GB with my old 1GB and it works perfectly, even says that both sticks (the old and one of the new) is working OK. so i switched out the 2GB with the other 2GB and it still worked fine. The computer only had problems when both of the 2GB sticks were in. Why would this be?

Reaction score
same problem

Yes, it is exactly the same problem i had i really need a answer. I have imac 7.1 at apple's site it says imac 7.1s can support 4 gb with 2 X 2 gb sticks but it's not the case help will be appreciated. thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Return the RAM and get something else if it doesn't work. If you're buying the cheapest RAM you can find, it may not work. Macs can be a little picky with RAM.

Either stick with some solid name manufacturers and their higher end memory or head for sites that sell memory known to work with Macs such as Crucial or OWC. OWC is pretty good and you can find lifetime warrantied RAM within just a couple of dollars of the cheap junk you'll find on newegg.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.