Macbook Air (bunch of apps open)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Thought this was kinda cool. Opened them all as quick as possible to try and get the beach ball and didn't get it once.

Screen shot 2010-11-12 at 8.30.02 PM.png

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thought this was kinda cool. Opened them all as quick as possible to try and get the beach ball and didn't get it once.

Darn you. Now I want one. >_<" Deciding between a new MBP or an iMac and you just made it so much harder for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Deciding between a new MBP or an iMac and you just made it so much harder for me.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Maybe Santa will be good to you this
year. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Darn you. Now I want one. >_<" Deciding between a new MBP or an iMac and you just made it so much harder for me.

Got an Imac and want a Mac Book Air but I have no need for it as I also have an ipad.

I am so tempted to save up and get one, my sister has her eye on my ipad so may give in and give it to her.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP

After i posted this i decided to import 500 photos and took some quick vids on the iphone and imported them as well to iMovie and didn't get the ball. Nice little machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The expression may have to change from Happy as Larry to Happy as Gary :)

Sounds like a great little machine. I'm guessing the integrated SSD has a lot to do with it!
BTW, what are the specs of your new baby?

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
the 1.86 processor and the 128GB HD. I store all my large files (mostly movies on the time capsule) and when I travel I copy them to the macbook air then delete when I get home. I've always done this so a larger HD is no biggie for me. Oh and 2GB RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I store all my large files (mostly movies on the time capsule) and when I travel I copy them to the macbook air then delete when I get home. I've always done this so a larger HD is no biggie for me.

I do the same with my MBP 13"
It only has a 250gb HD and i use my Ext HD as storage. Am forever deleting dragging from one to the other and have no interest in something like a 500gb or bigger. With the way technology is these days i could get away with a 120gb HD and still be "Happy as Gary" ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Decisions, decisions, decisions. Maybe Santa will be good to you this
year. ;D

Seriously doubt it since we promised Santa that we weren't going over 100 dollars this year. >_>"

I think I might have narrowed it down to a MBP or MBA now. My sister wants my White MB, so I could just sell it to her. Get her a new battery while I'm at it, and get a new MBP or a MBA.

My only issue with the MBA is that I would have to keep an external HDD, and superdrive with me at all times. T_T" I like the instant on that the MBA provides.

I wonder if this would get similar performance with a third party vendor SSD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why would you need to keep an external super drive with you at all times? The Air already comes with a special flash drive which has Snow Leopard and apps on it. Just buy yourself a large capacity flash drive to carry around with you. They're getting less expensive all the time. Most software you buy nowadays can be downloaded direct from the publisher anyway so you really shouldn't have to do too much with CDs or DVDs.

Get the model with 4 GB and as large a SSD as you can afford. That should keep you going for a few years....

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would you need to keep an external super drive with you at all times? The Air already comes with a special flash drive which has Snow Leopard and apps on it. Just buy yourself a large capacity flash drive to carry around with you. They're getting less expensive all the time. Most software you buy nowadays can be downloaded direct from the publisher anyway so you really shouldn't have to do too much with CDs or DVDs.

Get the model with 4 GB and as large a SSD as you can afford. That should keep you going for a few years....

Need the eternal super drive, because my clients like to have hard copies of files. They insist on burning CDs all the time. T_T"

Thanks for the heads up on the large capacity flash drive. Going to look into that for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm guessing the integrated SSD has a lot to do with it!
I was thinking the same thing. I can't wait for the prices for SSD to come down more. Opening applications does depend more on the hard drive as opposed to the computer processing power. Also when a person's computer has to use virtual RAM on their hard drive, SSD is a lot faster than a traditional hard drive which is one possible cause of beach balls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Very impressive. SSD definitely the way to go now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26ghz 4GB, iPod nano 1st & 3rd gen., iPod touch 2nd gen.
i hate when i get the beach ball!! im going to upgrade my hard drive soon to a SSD cuz this one just isnt cutting it for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
i hate when i get the beach ball!! im going to upgrade my hard drive soon to a SSD cuz this one just isnt cutting it for me
There are other causes of the beach ball so upgrading your hard drive alone may or may not solve your problem. Here is a good article from MacWorld about how to Troubleshoot the spinning beach ball | Mac OS X | Macworld

For the record I hardly ever get the beach ball. I do have a 7200 RPM hard drive and enough RAM where I don't use it all most of the time. As the article mentions, in order to solve your beach balls you first have to know what is the "bottleneck" that is slowing your computer down. I personally want SSD just for the faster read/write times because I do a lot of batch saving of files.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't get it, what is beach ball?

This.
rainbow.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.