OSX 10.3.x on iBook 300MHz, Possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz i5 MBP 15", 300MHz G3 iBook Tangerine, G3 400MHz iMac BondieB, G4 iMac 17", Quad G5 PowerMac.
I've recently purchased a iBook clamshell 300 MHz PowerPC Processor, 512kb L2 backside cache, 160 MB RAM, 6 Gig Hard Drive and 6MB of VRAM.

It is currently still running OS 9.x, stunningly well. However, being a OS X fan, I was wondering if it is possible to run OSX 10.3.x efficiently on the iBook. I'm aware it will be dragged down by the lack of VRAM, however this machine is for display and basic text editing purposes and some OS 9 games only, so minor lag is acceptable.

So, my main question is: Is it possible to run OSX 10.3.x on an iBook G3, if not, is it possible to get a stripped down version of OSX that requires less VRAM/whatever is the problem?

I'm quite happy to max out the machine if needed, I'm a sucker for the design of it, so will take any measure to bring it as close to functional with my 15" MBP i5.

Also, does anyone know of anyone who has replaced the internals with intel components? Also, if it is possible to purchase the stuff for this?.

Sorry for the essay of questions, but I was 4 when the computer was new, so I'm not familiar with PPC models bar my iMac G3 and quad G5.

Thank you! :D

Reaction score
It's definitely possible to run Mac OSX 10.3 and I highly recommend it, not being a huge fan of Mac OS 9. The minimum RAM requirements, if I remember correctly, is 128MB, so 160 or even 192 should run like a champ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Here are the specs of your machine:-

iBook G3/300 (Original/Clamshell) Specs (Original/Clamshell, M7707LL/A*, PowerBook2,1, M2453, N/A) @ EveryMac.com

The hard drive is extremely small so to get Panther OS X.3.9 , the latest OS it can use, you would have to erase Classic (OS9) to get sufficient hard drive space. Also boot the memory up as all versions of OS X are hungry cats. You would need to find Panther on CD's as your machine came out originally with a CD reader only and not a superdrive.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz i5 MBP 15", 300MHz G3 iBook Tangerine, G3 400MHz iMac BondieB, G4 iMac 17", Quad G5 PowerMac.

iBook G3/300 (Original/Clamshell) Specs (Original/Clamshell, M7707LL/A*, PowerBook2,1, M2453, N/A) @ EveryMac.com

The hard drive is extremely small so to get Panther OS X.3.9 , the latest OS it can use, you would have to erase Classic (OS9) to get sufficient hard drive space. Also boot the memory up as all versions of OS X are hungry cats. You would need to find Panther on CD's as your machine came out originally with a CD reader only and not a superdrive.

Is it possible to do a minimum install in order to keep OS9, many applications and games I want require classic mode. If not however, what HDD/SSD size would you recommend?

Reaction score
Is it possible to do a minimum install in order to keep OS9, many applications and games I want require classic mode. If not however, what HDD/SSD size would you recommend?
Go into the advanced options during the install -- unchecking the languages and printer drivers significantly reduces the install size. How much free space is left?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Go into the advanced options during the install -- unchecking the languages and printer drivers significantly reduces the install size. How much free space is left?

I have about 3GB left, though allot of the stuff on it needs to be deleted, how much will I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Much more than that alas!

To work anywhere near peak efficiency a hard drive requires some 15% free space, and that 6GB after formatting will reduce to about 5GB so after OS 9 and applications are installed there will not be enough room for Panther to run any near its best. Suggest you look for a 60GB hard drive.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much more than that alas!

To work anywhere near peak efficiency a hard drive requires some 15% free space, and that 6GB after formatting will reduce to about 5GB so after OS ( and applications are installed there will not be enough room for Panther to run any near its best. Suggest you look for a 60GB hard drive.

Thank you very much for the help, greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.