Saving whilst working in pages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1
When producing word processing documents using 'pages' I like to 'save' as I'm going along and return and edit as needed.

I'm saving in finder, in folders in documents usually as a Word Document.

I've always in M/S Word, save as > then name > and choose a folder etc. Then as I carry on working press control+s to save as I continue.

When I use 'pages' and do the same thing, though using the cmd+s keys, I'm directed back to an option box where I want to save the document (in the same place would be nice only updated).

I don't want multiple copies of the same document in the finder/folders.

Currently I have in 'pages'>preferences under saving 'Back up previous version when saving' - now unticked.
'Include preview in document by default' - ticked and
'Save new documents as packages' - unticked.

As always thanks in advance for all positive input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm not sure I understand.
When I save a pages doc as a word document, in the same location as you, and then use Command + S to save while am working on the pages doc, it keeps saving to the same document as one would expect.
Are you suggesting that each time you click Command + S you are having new documents created?

By the way, I have my preferences set up like you do.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1
I'm not sure I understand.
When I save a pages doc as a word document, in the same location as you, and then use Command + S to save while am working on the pages doc, it keeps saving to the same document as one would expect.
Are you suggesting that each time you click Command + S you are having new documents created?

By the way, I have my preferences set up like you do.

Yes exactly that, so I end up with multiple copies of the same document.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hmmmm ...this is very strange indeed!
All I can think of is that you have corrupt preferences going on there.
There should be a few different pages preferences in user/library/preferences.
I have:
com.apple.iWork.Pages.001b63b388dd.plist
com.apple.iWork.Pages.E980DAC5-6046-57BB-980D-0C238DAD30F9.plist
com.apple.iWork.Pages.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist

I would move them all to the desktop and launch pages and see if the behaviour stops.

Reaction score
Hey, if you are saving the documents as a word file (.doc) then this will happen. If you save them as .pages files then it won't. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, if you are saving the documents as a word file (.doc) then this will happen. If you save them as .pages files then it won't. Hope that helps!

Actually that's incorrect, and you will see that if you read my first post in this thread!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
He's right. Pages is meant to work with Pages documents. You can save copies as Word documents as often as you like, but you'll be exporting a new copy every time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
technologist is correct. This is one of the shortcomings of Pages and another reason why I refuse to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has me baffled now.... when I tested it earlier, it was saving with command + s without opening the dialogue box, and creating another document, where as now, testing it again it is do this.

So, I stand corrected, Cliko, Technologist, and Chscag.

Well, I guess I'll stick with using MS Word.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Kane:

Yeah, I wish Pages would do it the "right" way. Lots of things about Pages that I do like, (publishing layout for one) but the save thing is just too much of an annoyance for me to live with.

However, I'm beginning to find some things about Word 2011 that I don't like either....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still on Office 08, and pretty happy with it, now being used to the layout since updating from 04.
I think I'll stick with it as long as it suits my needs.
I use pages for creating flyers, cards, etc, but all my word processor work has always been using word.
Some habits are hard to break, and often, not worth breaking :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if I save the item as .pages I can just keep cmd+s and I will not get a dialogue box asking me where I want to save a copy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. As long as you save documents in the native pages format you will not have to specify. It's only when you save in another format, for example - MS Office that it will give you the save as dialog.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. As long as you save documents in the native pages format you will not have to specify. It's only when you save in another format, for example - MS Office that it will give you the save as dialog.

What about the option in the pages preferences to 'save new documents as packages', what is this and should I tick or un tick?

C

chas_m

What it is -- packages all references artwork and fonts together for sending to a professional printer.

Should I tick or untick -- are you sending your job to a professional printer?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What it is -- packages all references artwork and fonts together for sending to a professional printer.

Should I tick or untick -- are you sending your job to a professional printer?

Strangely enough I am a professional printer of many years, in a large web offset house. The Mac's now gather dust in the repro department, PC's have taken over!

I'll keep it unticked then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.