Acer win7 wireless problem (kinda linked to my mac wireless too)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Hi Guys,

My dad's just bought a new Acer Aspire 5734Z for his work, running windows 7. However, we are struggling to get it wirelessly connected to our router - netgear wgt624v3, running on V2.0.26_1.0.1NA (even though we are UK, it was discovered in this thread it didn't matter...)

We are running on WPA2-PSK [AES], g&b mode, channel 11.

Our internet is with virgin media, paying for 20mb speeds.

I have noticed that my macbook has always been 192.168.1.6, but since the acer has turned up and tried to connect I've been moved to 1.5. Although sometimes I'm 1.6... I also noticed that I could connect to the internet and the acer couldn't, and when I left my computer for a while, the acer could connect but my mac couldn't..!

Is this because we're both trying to be the same ip address?

The acer can see all networks very quickly and easily, but will not connect wirelessly. It will connect to the internet via the Ethernet cable coming out of the router.

I've looked for a windows 7 update to the WGT624v3 HERE, but to no avail.

Google throws up a few threads both about the acer not connecting to wireless and also win7 with the WGT624v3, but none that I have found have been helpful.

One last thing, the internet since a day or so ago has become VERY slow, although speedtest.net says we are at 14mb download. Not according to the length of time it takes to download something though! Is this an interrelated problem, or just the effect of heavy rain, gusting winds and 'everyone' online?

Thanks guys :)

Jonik

EDIT

The acer can connect to an unsecured local network - so that means it's our router right?

EDIT 2

It's now connected! But on 168.1.3, and my mac is now on 168.1.2 - why do they keep changing and why has it now decided to connect?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.