Just picked up an iBook G4

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm new to Macs. Picked up an iBook g4 to begin my journey.

It has been great so far, a good starter for me.

Had a couple issues though and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

1) When I insert a disc, it sounds like it's being spun and read, but the disc is released back out. The discs are clean, free of damage, etc. I can't figure out why.

2) My computer didn't come with photoshop and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get it online for free?

I have OS X 10.5.8., iBook G4 60gig.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Had a couple issues though and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

1) When I insert a disc, it sounds like it's being spun and read, but the disc is released back out. The discs are clean, free of damage, etc. I can't figure out why.

2) My computer didn't come with photoshop and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get it online for free?

1. It's possible your iBook only has a CD drive...if you're inserting DVD's, that would be a reason for them being spit out.

2. Not as far as I know...especially a version that's compatible with OS 10.5.8.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
For a good Photoshop program try Gimp, as it's free.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I've tried inserting cds also, but they get spit out too. The hard drive status says read/write. Weird.

I'll try Gimp out, thanks!

C

chas_m

1. Sounds like the optical drive (which is quite old now) is done. You could replace it through a service for around $300, or you could buy a $50 one in a $20 USB2 enclosure and use that when you're at home.

2. Photoshop is a commercial program. There is no "free" version. You should look into Photoshop Elements 9 for Mac (about $100) if you're needs are not "pro-level," or if your needs are REALLY basic the web-based Photoshop Express might tide you over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.