This one is a puzzle... NTFS ext HD on Mac?

Reaction score
Im running a MacBook Pro with 10.5.8 and Parallels 5 with Windows XP. I have a 320gb NTFS external USB 2.0 hard drive without anything installed on it.

What I want to be able to do is run a Windows NTFS-only game on my MacBook. I figured I'd be able to install the game (Empire: Total War) on the external drive and run it through Parallels but that didn't work because the Mac cant write on NTFS drives so I installed MacFUSE, a program that allows this, but I'm still running into problems.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any ideas? This is very frustrating and I'd appreciate any help.

TenaciousH

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why are you trying to game on a virtual machine? It takes a lot of system resources just to run Windows. Trying to game on top of that is going to make the game very laggy and possibly unplayable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
An even better question, why are you trying to run the game from a usb external hard drive? You must love lag.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I want to be able to do is run a Windows NTFS-only game on my MacBook.

Where did you come up with this information? I saw nothing in the system requirements that stated the game (Empire: Total War) must be installed to a NTFS formatted hard drive. Check the requirements again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Ideally, you'd have a windows partition on your Macbook and boot from and run windows/game natively, but you can't do that without completely starting over, so I would try creating a FAT32 partition on the external drive and try installing and running the game from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.