2001 Quicksilver CPU Upgrades..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
So I've been looking to beef up my G4 to give it a bit of kick, as even simple tasks like scrolling a web page can be horrendously choppy..

That aside, I've found some cheap upgrade cards on eBay, and was just curious if any one could tell me if they'd be compatible.

This dual 867mhz cpu card, which has the same 133mhz bus as my QS does, but I honestly don't know how to tell which cards will work with my system..

I'm also looking at a single 1ghz cpu from a FW800 G4 Powermac, which also has the same 133mhz bus.

Just looking for a point in the right direction. I know 733 > 867 isn't much of a jump, but Ableton Live takes advantage of dual-core/CPU systems, so this will benefit me, and I think will be a worth while $50 investment.

I have quite extensive knowledge about hardware and the like, and I've been trying to do my homework on the topic, but I know with a Mac, it's slightly different.

Any one who's done a G4 upgrade that could chime in would be greatly appreciated, because if I have to, I'm going to spend $160 on a single 1.6ghz Sonnet upgrade card from OWC.

Thanks for any input! :)

EDIT: as a side note, does any one also know if there's a 256mb version of the 9800 Pro that's compatible with the 2001 QS? I know the 128mb version will fly and be a huuuge improvement over the crappy 23mb MX2 I've got now, but 256mb is always better than 128mb! :)

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Bit of an update..

Just scored a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb for $90 CDN, shipped from eBay! Can't wait to drop this in!

Upon more research, I'm starting to think that the dual 867mhz cpu card will work in my Qs, as it has the same bus speed, and the moutning screws are in the same spot as mine.

For $3 USD, even if it doesn't work, I think I might jump on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
None of the CPU will update as Mirror Disc Door models use different bus speed and different logic boards. The only CPU upgrades will be the commercial ones from companies like OWC and simply they are not worth the bucks.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/OWC/

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Not all of the MDD's run on the 167mhz bus, some use the 133mhz, like the dual 867mhz version, according to EveryMac

And as for upgrade cards, as I mentioned in my first post, I was probably going to just pick up the Sonnet 1.6ghz card, which is ~$160 on OWC. And really, $160 isn't going to break my bank to get another year or 2 of "good" usage from my machine.

I use it for audio production only, and a tiny bit of web browsing. This is my "tie-me-over" system until I can save the rest up to purchase a MBP in the new year, so I'm not worried about spending a bit to give it a boost until then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When had a Gigabit Ethernet 500MHz Dual Processor popped a 1.6GHz Mercury Extreme in and it worked reasonably well to enable Leopard to run on it. Be aware the boost will not be that much as you are still grounded by that 133MHz system bus speed and probably a 5400 RPM hard drive and 4X AGP regardless of the card you install.

Boosting memory out to 1.5GB the maximum the QS will take, will also help.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have an 80gb/7200rpm Western Digital drive in it now, and it does have the max 1.5gb PC133 ram.

Regardless, the cpu/gpu upgrade will get rid of the overal "slowness" of the system. It's currently running Tiger, and I have no intentions of changing that.

Ableton Live runs "okay" as it is right now, of course the more tracks I have going, the slower it is, but it's fine for now.

I'm mostly wanting to upgrade because Amplitube 3 is sweet for digital amp/effects modeling, and it kills the 733.

My lover had also informed me, she'd be willing to split on a dual 1.6ghz card from NewerTechnology, which is $400 by itself. So even still, $200 for that upgrade, I can deal.

And I know there's a lot of hate towards upgrading such an old machine, but it's worth it in my eyes. Plus, Ableton takes advantage of dual cores/cpu's, so it'd benefit me greatly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My lover had also informed me, she'd be willing to split on a dual 1.6ghz card from NewerTechnology, which is $400 by itself. So even still, $200 for that upgrade, I can deal.

And I know there's a lot of hate towards upgrading such an old machine, but it's worth it in my eyes. Plus, Ableton takes advantage of dual cores/cpu's, so it'd benefit me greatly.

I wouldn't call it hate ;)...but man I could do so MUCH MORE with $400 bucks!!!:)

Just ask our friendly Mac-Forums member "idrinorbarsaku"...who about a week ago purchased not ONE but TWO Powermac G5's for UNDER $400 dollars!!! Here's the thread mentioning this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/buy-sell-trade/219030-ltb-powermac-g5.html#post1134161

He paid $255 for one (got a $75 dollar refund bringing the final cost to $180)...and a 2nd one for $150...for a grand total of $330...for TWO Powermac G5's!

This is what I'm trying to say when putting this sort of money ($400 or more) into an old Powermac G4...it's just not a good dollars/performance decision.;)

- Nick

p.s. "idrinorbarsaku"...I hope you don't mind me using your recent computer purchases as an example in this thread.:)

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I totally get what you're saying, but keep in mind, things like this in Canada aren't as cheap as they are in the USA, even through eBay, by the time shipping/customs and duty fees are paid, it's quite expensive.

I'm quite jealous of his purchases, and am actually looking into a G5.. Even with the 9800 Pro I just bought, I can dump it into that if I managed to find one.

If I do, I'm probably going to either sell the G4, or mod the heck out of it for a fun project.

I've got a bunch of stuff I'm not using any more (cell phones, other electronics), that I can get rid of to pay for upgrades too ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally get what you're saying, but keep in mind, things like this in Canada aren't as cheap as they are in the USA, even through eBay, by the time shipping/customs and duty fees are paid, it's quite expensive.

I understand that many times computer items in Canada can be more expensive. We've had this conversation before (in a different thread)...but the same topic of upgrading this Powermac G4. And in that thread I linked an e-Bay auction from e-Bay Canada for a Powermac G5 that was less expensive than what you're talking about spending to upgrade this Powermac G4.

So to help out again...here's another e-Bay auction from e-Bay Canada for a Powermac G5...dual 1.8ghz processors, 2 gig of ram, 300 gig hard drive, decent video card.

"Buy It Now" price of $251.17 + $80 shipping = $331.17 (Canadian Dollars) shipped!!!:)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Apple-PowerMac-G...e_Desktops&hash=item19c0e03423#ht_4421wt_1141

Still almost $70 less than that $400 cpu upgrade you're talking about...and I won't even bring up what you paid for the 9800 video card!;)

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against playing around & using a Powermac G4...but you just got to know when to say "enough is enough" when it comes to spending $$$ on upgrades...especially when the upgrade money EXCEEDS the cost of getting a much better computer (a dual processor Powermac G5 in this case).

I'm really just trying to help,:)

- Nick

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Hahaha I knooowww... I actually found a few for around $150 CDN on eBay today at work, but there's several days left, so I'm watching them for now..

I just know the shipping will be stupid high, since the beasts weigh about 50lbs..

At the same time.. I'm thinking I REALLY should just get something that's Intel.. Finding simple apps for PPC is getting very difficult these days..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now you are on the right track with Intel machines. Without being hateful, suggest saving your hard earned and putting it towards something that will run the latest operating system, Snow Leopard, and Lion coming in about nine-ten months.

Rest assured Nick and I are both trying to put you on the right track and CPU upgrades add-ons are not the way to go. Been there and done that alas.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hahaha I knooowww... I actually found a few for around $150 CDN on eBay today at work, but there's several days left, so I'm watching them for now..

I just know the shipping will be stupid high, since the beasts weigh about 50lbs..

Yes...I saw that many of the e-Bay Canada auctions had some seriously high shipping (like $200+ CDN) for Powermac G5's...that's why I linked the auction I did...which had $80 shipping...and a Buy It Now price of $251 CDN. So a total price of approx. $331. This auction could be your relative "benchmark/total price" to compare against the other auctions you're watching.

At the same time.. I'm thinking I REALLY should just get something that's Intel.. Finding simple apps for PPC is getting very difficult these days..

This is certainly a great idea as well. If someone is going to spend some "bigger bucks" on a "newer" computer...Intel would really be the way to go. The Intel Mac's have been out since 2006...and so the PPC machines are getting a little "long in the tooth"...as far as being someones "primary" Number 1 computer. Allot of newer software requires an Intel cpu...and of course it is nice to be able to use the latest & greatest Mac OS (10.6.5)...which requires an Intel cpu as well.

So the $490 bucks you may be planning on spending to upgrade this 2001 Powermac G4...would be a BIG BIG chunk of $$$ towards an Intel Mac.

If it were me...my first priority would be to get the newest & fastest computer I can afford to be my "primary day to day computer" (which would be a Mac computer with an Intel cpu). Then after that purchase (once enough cash is scraped together again)...then you can start thinking about buying older Mac's (G3's, G4's, and G5's)...and playing around with them & upgrading them.

Just some stuff to think about & consider,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I think it's awesome to upgrade these old G4's. I have a 2002 quicksilver dual 1ghz and I just ordered a few upgrades.
I got this SATA controller for $120 with shipping,
Sonnet - Tempo Serial ATA: 2-Port Serial ATA PCI Card; Compatible in Most Mac Desktop Computers With PCI or PCI-X Slots

I also ordered a GF TI4600 128mb video card. I got that one because it's the best one you can get that I'm aware of that has an ADC connector as I still use my original monitor. which ran me about $65 with shipping.

My ram is already maxed out to 1.5ghz so all I need to do now is buy 2 500gb hd's for about $65 each and I should be good to go.

Total investment,
G4 tower $100
Video card $65
PCI controller card $120
2 500 gb hd's $130

total $415 + taxes

Not to bad in my opinion, considering it will run OSX pretty effortlessly. I realize it has lots of limitation with software but for what I do it's all I need. I decided to upgrade this mac instead of getting a newer, better, faster G5 for the nostalgia, I like old electronics. I have a pile of old video game consoles etc. for the same reason.

Best of luck on your upgrades, if you decide to. That G5 does look like a pretty good deal though.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Like you, Debille, I'm a sucker for tricking out old hardware..

I've actually decided to sell mine, as I've found a MDD dual 1.25ghz FW800 for $195.

I know I can get $200+ easily in my area (not meaning to rip someone off), so I'm not technically spending any money on it, just swapping.

Plus, the 9800 Pro I just ordered will play nicely with the duals making me able to run 10.5, finally. I'll also be able to run Amplitube3 in cooperation with Ableton (yay, more than 2 tracks simultaneously AND dual CPU support!). Halo will be able to be crammed into my downtime and some light Illustrator work to resume the design of my merchandise.

I'll just overall be a lot more productive. I'm pretty excited, I gotta say!

Here's my total "G4 Project" worth:

G4 QS 733mmhz - $25
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb Mac Edition - $93.42 shipped
G4 MDD dual 1.25ghz FW800 - essentially free, once the QS sells
---
Total: $118.42 CDN

I think that's pretty decent for what it'll be in the end. :)

Reaction score
Like you, Debille, I'm a sucker for tricking out old hardware..

I've actually decided to sell mine, as I've found a MDD dual 1.25ghz FW800 for $195.

I know I can get $200+ easily in my area (not meaning to rip someone off), so I'm not technically spending any money on it, just swapping.

Plus, the 9800 Pro I just ordered will play nicely with the duals making me able to run 10.5, finally. I'll also be able to run Amplitube3 in cooperation with Ableton (yay, more than 2 tracks simultaneously AND dual CPU support!). Halo will be able to be crammed into my downtime and some light Illustrator work to resume the design of my merchandise.

I'll just overall be a lot more productive. I'm pretty excited, I gotta say!

Here's my total "G4 Project" worth:

G4 QS 733mmhz - $25
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb Mac Edition - $93.42 shipped
G4 MDD dual 1.25ghz FW800 - essentially free, once the QS sells
---
Total: $118.42 CDN

I think that's pretty decent for what it'll be in the end. :)

Nice, you will probably be happy with the 1.25ghz. Best of luck, update when you get everything up and running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Just read this thread for the first time...made me lol a bit. As much as I love my G4(check my sig) I will never invest money to make it "fast," when I can get a much better system for that kind of money. With that said, If I ever do find a couple of hundred bucks on the ground...I might consider picking up a used one on ebay. But for the money, you gotta REALLY love building up old computers. I love doing it too, but simply swapping out a processor isn't automatically going to make your old g4 work close to as fast as you are used to working on your other faster macs/computers. That 133mhz is r..e..a..l..l..y slow on computer. It's like getting a v8 engine with an exhaust pipe the width of a slushy straw! Check out some youtube videos of the sonnet upgrades.

Have you ever considered looking for a faster G4?

PS: I love my C-Blue G5. I'll break someone's arms if they touch it:D

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have considered a faster Mac, and in my last post I was talkign about how I found a dual 1.25ghz FW800 for cheap, so if I can sell mine within the next week, I'll be able to go pick it up.

The MDD's have teh 167mhz bus, but it does have DDR ram instead of the PC133, so it'll be good for now.

Like I said, this is just a tie-me-over Mac, until I finish saving up for an i5 MBP. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.