Help please!.. You usually don't answer my questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.8 2 GHz intel Core Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM & Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 MacBook
Hello,
My computer is very slow lately.. My laptop shows I've used 148.61 GB and I have only 12.98 left. I can't figure out what is taking all the space. I got rid of most my photos on the computer (I do photography) and still, I think it freed up about 2 GB. I have quite a few of the Hidden objects games, but they don't show that they are all that big.
Anyway.. I was using my OnyX program to see if I can help free up some space somehow through this application. When I went to permissions to fix them, it came up with all this stuff:

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 Macintosh HD
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r--
ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DotMacSyncHelper.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resources/dotmacsyncui.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacLegacy.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeDirectory", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeSignature", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPDisplaysReporter.spreporter/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------

Finished verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 Macintosh HD

It won't seem to fix them... it keeps telling me there are all these problems but won't fix through this application or the application that came with the computer in utilities that is supposed to fix permissions. I tried navigating to the folders they are printing out here (System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- ) I go to my Macintosh and then the Library, but I've looked 8 times and there is no "CoreServices" folder in there. I tried searching up "Core" through the macintosh and nothing comes up on my computer. How can I not have CoreServices if they are telling me this is where the problem is on my computer? Is there anyway to fix these permissions? I couldn't figure out how, so I was going to try to manually fix each one, but obviously I can't do that if I can't find it on my computer.
can ANYBODY help me out? Please? :[

Lany

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Are you repairing permissions or checking permissions?

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you are trying to figure out what is using your disk space try Disk Inventory X

Disk Inventory X

When you find out come back to us and we will be happy to give further help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Lany,

I really don't understand your thread title:

"Help please!.. You usually don't answer my questions."

You've only posted 2 threads here on Mac-Forums (this is the 2nd one)...and from what I can see...you've gotten multiple responses to both threads???

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I tried navigating to the folders they are printing out here (System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- ) I go to my Macintosh and then the Library, but I've looked 8 times and there is no "CoreServices" folder in there.
It's there - you're just in the wrong spot. Open up Finder > go to your HD > System > Library > CoreServices. Sounds like you're looking in the library folder that isn't in the System folder. Although you can go there, I would strongly suggest that you don't mess around with anything in there.

You're going to need to free up some more space. This is an easy way to start solving your problem. Do you have an external HD that you can transfer some files over to?

Reaction score
Agree…your HD is too full. Load in a larger one or offload some of the files. Voila!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What program or programs are you using for photography. Some of them will store a lot of information in caché folders without the user being aware of the fact that they keep growing larger as time goes on. Not only that, but if you're rendering 1:1 previews, along with high resolution thumbnails for browsing, then that will hog a lot of space too.

So. What programs are you using? Photography and non photography related too, I guess.

Doug

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.8 2 GHz intel Core Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM & Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 MacBook
ooops

Lany,

I really don't understand your thread title:

"Help please!.. You usually don't answer my questions."

You've only posted 2 threads here on Mac-Forums (this is the 2nd one)...and from what I can see...you've gotten multiple responses to both threads???

- Nick

Sorry... obviously there are at least two of these mac forum sites.

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's there - you're just in the wrong spot. Open up Finder > go to your HD > System > Library > CoreServices. Sounds like you're looking in the library folder that isn't in the System folder. Although you can go there, I would strongly suggest that you don't mess around with anything in there.

You're going to need to free up some more space. This is an easy way to start solving your problem. Do you have an external HD that you can transfer some files over to?

Yes.. I do have a external hard drive. But I'm confused to what is taking up so much space.. when I look at my apps & files, I don't see huge ones.. not since I took most my photos off, which is pretty sad because I need to have the photos on the computer. :Confused:

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you repairing permissions or checking permissions?

- Simon

Repairing permissions. Since the program told me my computer needed to be fixed after running a check through the OnyX program.

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What program or programs are you using for photography. Some of them will store a lot of information in caché folders without the user being aware of the fact that they keep growing larger as time goes on. Not only that, but if you're rendering 1:1 previews, along with high resolution thumbnails for browsing, then that will hog a lot of space too.

So. What programs are you using? Photography and non photography related too, I guess.

Doug

I have Photo Shop elements along with the plug in "OnOne Photo Essentials"

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ah! okay.. I found it now... I take your suggestion seriously. How do I fix all these naughty errors then? also.. I don't use Front Row, and noticed a lot of those errors are in that application (I'm guessing because it says there are all these mistakes in "FrontRow") Can I take Front Row off the computer entirely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i answered your question.

Did you actually read the link as yet?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes.. I do have a external hard drive. But I'm confused to what is taking up so much space.. when I look at my apps & files, I don't see huge ones.. not since I took most my photos off, which is pretty sad because I need to have the photos on the computer. :Confused:

If you are trying to figure out what is using your disk space try Disk Inventory X

Disk Inventory X

Take a look at Disk Inventory X as louishen has suggested.

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay.. here it is...

Disk Inventory X

Okay... I downloaded the Disk Inventory program you suggested. I found that the second largest is the iPhoto which I have 1,957 photos still on it after taking many off. I know of people with iPhoto with way more photos then that, like 9 thousand, and they don't have problems... but here it is.. Then largest on my computer are Movies. I didn't realize it, but I watch and buy movies through the AppleTV , and it seems to copy all of them on my computer because this is the computer that has the account on it. Sooo.. How do I still use my AppleTV without getting all these movies collected on my computer?

Picture 5.jpg

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i answered your question.

Did you actually read the link as yet?

Yes, I did read the link you provided. Thank you. It's good to see that all these messages aren't really a red flag for computer problems. So, if that is not the problem, I am trying to figure out what is the problem (laptop running very slow, application quitting, like my word & Excel, can't keep many photos in iPhoto) That is why I went into the OnyX program to repair permissions to begin with. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is your hard drive is too full! Folks with more photos no doubt are using much bigger drives. A 160GB drive prior to formatting is tiny these days!

Installing say a 1TB drive will solve your problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
The problem is your hard drive is too full! Folks with more photos no doubt are using much bigger drives. A 160GB drive prior to formatting is tiny these days!

160GB is Tiny?! I'd love to have a 160 GB HD. My iBook has a 40GIG! :| But then again, I don't have a 1000 pictures in iPhoto. Anyway you're right, the OP's hard drive is too full. Especially for that kind of photo storage.

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

How would I go about putting more hard drive on my MacBook? Is this something that has to be sent into the "professionals"? Where you have to wait and wait in line and don't know who is messing with the laptop? Do you know how much something like that would cost If I couldn't do it myself? Thanks. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.