Help please!.. You usually don't answer my questions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How would I go about putting more hard drive on my MacBook? Is this something that has to be sent into the "professionals"? Where you have to wait and wait in line and don't know who is messing with the laptop? Do you know how much something like that would cost If I couldn't do it myself? Thanks. :Smirk:

The cost of the hard drive is not too much. As far as the install...go to:

iFixit: The free repair manual

...enter your Macbook's model info...and check out the replacement instructions.

- Nick

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.8 2 GHz intel Core Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM & Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 MacBook

...enter your Macbook's model info...and check out the replacement instructions.

- Nick

Thank you very much to all of you! I'm happy you guys are around. Next time I need help.. (and I'm sure I will) I will come to this forum. :* ;D

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.8 2 GHz intel Core Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM & Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 MacBook

- Nick

hmm... I went to that link and then clicked on free repair manuals, but It brings me to a photo and next to the photo it tells me all about the free manuals for the do it yourself... but there is no link. Where are the manuals? lol

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nevermind. Got it.... I think.. I put Mac OS X 10.5.8 in the search box and different things came up, but it doesn't look like they have "how to install more hard drive" but I'll keep looking. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm... I went to that link and then clicked on free repair manuals, but It brings me to a photo and next to the photo it tells me all about the free manuals for the do it yourself... but there is no link. Where are the manuals? lol

You need to go thru about a 6-7 step process to identify your computer & get the correct repair guide.

Go to ifixit.com...and start by clicking on "Repair Manuals" next to the image of a hammer.

This is probably the replacement guide you need:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Hard-Drive-Replacement/514/1

The hard drive replacement on one of these Macbooks is actually about as easy as it gets!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi there again.. thank you so much. One more question.. I noticed that the macbook they are showing photos of looks just like my older laptop.. I have the new silver one. Does that matter at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, here are the HD replacement instructions:
Installing MacBook Unibody Model A1342 Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit

Hard drive options are still the same.
Data Storage Upgrades for your Apple MacBook 2.0GHz "Unibody" (13.3-inch w/ nVidia Graphics) - Late 2008 at OtherWorldComputing.com

2.5" 9.5mm Sata HDs
You can get 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm (7200 is faster)

OWC and Newegg are both good places to look.

You just put in your computer details, and take it from there.

Thank you so much!! .. I can't grasp the words to type to tell you all how much you helped. :D :*

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh... I have to replace my hard drive... can't just put more in huh? ..

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool! Thank you. :)

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry... another question..
The link you sent me.. would that be the one I would need for my hard drive? Just don't know if you sent me a sample, or you sent me the actual item I could get for my needs. :)

These external hard drive cases are available at just about any office supply/electronics/computer store (even places like Walmart & Target)...at various prices from $5.99 to $40 or more.

You have a 2.5" SATA hard drive...so you need an external case for that type of hard drive.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought it was the right one, but I just realised that your MB doesn't have firewire if I'm not mistaken.
So, all you need is a 2.5" SATA USB enclosure, which you will be able to get much cheaper, as Nick has stated.

OP
Lany
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought it was the right one, but I just realised that your MB doesn't have firewire if I'm not mistaken.
So, all you need is a 2.5" SATA USB enclosure, which you will be able to get much cheaper, as Nick has stated.

Thank you again! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Or if you're not entirely sure what you're doing, you could try to find an authorized Apple repair center near you and have them do it. It's more expensive than doing it yourself but it might save you aggravation and guesswork. The first time my MBP needed a repair I didn't mind paying to have someone else do this seemingly harrowing procedure for me. But using the tutorials on iFixit, I've done it myself a couple of times since then to upgrade it. Some electronics store near you must have a repair center.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.