Pages not Saving correctly

Reaction score
Hi All - New to mac and have been working through some differences between PC/Mac - This one I can not figure out. From what I have read, when I press command S in pages, it should update the existing document in its current location. However, when I press command S, it opens up the Save As dialog box asking me where to save the file. I am not pressing the Shift! key - I checked my preferences, etc and can't see where I can make it right. I have a Macbook Pro. Pages '09

Thanks in advance,

Brian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's because "Command S" is the key combo for Save As. Works the same way in TextEdit. It should, however, offer to save the file in the "Documents" folder. Did you check to see if the "Documents" folder was selected?

OP
B
Reaction score
That's because "Command S" is the key combo for Save As. Works the same way in TextEdit. It should, however, offer to save the file in the "Documents" folder. Did you check to see if the "Documents" folder was selected?

That's not correct. Command S is save, Shift Command S is save as. I played with it a lot this afternoon. It only does it when I'm working with .doc files. It's like it is trying to do a save as so it can save it as a pages document. If I open and work within a pages document, then the command S works as it should and saves it over the previously opened version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. I no longer have Pages installed and was going from "memory". In TextEdit and Word, the Command S combo is different.

However, it may be because *.doc files are not saved as *.doc by default in Pages. In order to save a file to *.doc, you must use the "Save As" function each time in Pages. (One of the reasons I no longer use Pages.)

When you save a "Pages" document, it automatically defaults to that format. (Its native format) Therefore, the "save" feature works as it should. Hope that helps you somewhat. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.