Program startup

Reaction score
I am trying to find the correct way to run a script that starts my application at boot on my macbook.

I used this command: /usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to make new login item with properties { path: "/Applications/smbanner.app/bin/smstart.command", hidden:true} at end'

While this works I get a Terminal window with the above command showing and the
[Process completed] stuff.

I am really surprised by this since I have the hidden: true. I expected it to run hidden.

I use the "defaults read" command and hidden is set to true for my entry.

If it was just my PC I would not mind put I will be giving this to others and I dont want the
terminal window to show. I have done some other searching and it talks about changing the Terminal settings to allow perhaps an exit at the end of the script so the terminal window will auto exit and close. This is not a good option as the other peopl I give this to will not be changing their settings.

How can I get the item to start with the silly Terminal window.

Thanks,

Jerry

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I must not be understanding something. If the script that you are running is starting an application why can't you simply include the application as a login item? Or, is it that what you are actually running is a script?

OP
G
Reaction score
script

I had the application running first but it also popped up the terminal window
for some reason. When I closed the terminal window my appliacation closed.

So I thought I'll just make a script that starts my application in the background
and this works ok. However, the terminal window still shows and I wish to not have
it show.

Jerry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.