Changing when you get the low battery notification

Reaction score
Currently I get the notification when my battery is at 5%. Is there any way to change it so I get the notification when the battery is at 2%?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Around 2% is when Macbooks put themselves into hibernation. Hence why at 5% you should be saving all your open documents and/or trying to find a place to charge the laptop. However, if you fail to do either, the Mac will hibernate and use the remaining juice to preserve the state you were in so that you can pick right back up where you left off when you finally do find a power source.

My point is that while I don't know if you CAN change the percentage, but if you COULD, it's in your best interest to leave it as is.

OP
M
Reaction score
Around 2% is when Macbooks put themselves into hibernation. Hence why at 5% you should be saving all your open documents and/or trying to find a place to charge the laptop. However, if you fail to do either, the Mac will hibernate and use the remaining juice to preserve the state you were in so that you can pick right back up where you left off when you finally do find a power source.

My point is that while I don't know if you CAN change the percentage, but if you COULD, it's in your best interest to leave it as is.

Thank you for the info. My Mac goes into hibernation at 0%, which is why having it notify me of a low battery at 5% is annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Sheesh :)
I can understand that you'd want to increase the battery percentage warning, but, why on earth would you want to decrease the percentage warning?

OP
M
Reaction score
Sheesh :)
I can understand that you'd want to increase the battery percentage warning, but, why on earth would you want to decrease the percentage warning?

Because I try to only charge my Macbook when it gets down to 1%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There is no reason to be doing this if you maintain your battery as you should, and even then, for the cost of a battery over the average lifetime, even not maintaining the battery properly it'll on average not cost that much .

As you will see on Mac forums, there are many post about battery life, in which many members run the batteries plugged in almost all the time, while others run them as advised by apple.
I have seen throughout all these different posts, regardless of how people have looked after their batteries, some maintain 95% of original capacity even after a few years, and some maintain 80% all the way down to 30% only after a couple of years.
I am one of the ones who has 95% of original capacity on my Macbook after 3 yrs running it plugged in most the time, where as I have 98% on my Macbook Pro after 2months.

Morel of the story is use your Macbook as you wish, and don't let the battery dampen your experience :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.