• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Real ipad competitor or just another wannabe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I was really considering Android phones at one point, and I noticed that Verizon was really pushing the Samsung Fascinate through advertisements and 2 for 1 deals.

It seems like this TouchWiz UI that they use in their phones and likely this tablet are really weak compared to the complexity of the other UIs, which is fine for most. But I really didn't care for the Fisher-Price feel to it. I think the UI that you'll see on the HTC phones are far superior.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The price is going to kill this thing. People are going to see a smaller device that costs more than an iPad and will go with the iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I thoroughly enjoy my wife's Fascinate, and it's leading the pack as my possible new phone. The UI is very nice, as is the display.

How does it translate to a pad? Dunno. I think if you're in the group of people who want pads (I don't, personally), then the functionality and UI will be great for you. I think the most telling, and obvious, of problems is with flash. It obviously isn't working the way it's supposed to, and this is more evidence that flash is clumsy technology.

I think the biggest killer here, though, is the price. The iPad has set the standard as the must-have item, as far as pads, or really gadgets, go. To charge a similar price but not be the iPad, you'd really have to innovate and offer something that they don't, and blow them out of the water. Being late out of the gate, though, and not having something like that, then you won't overtake them.

The cheaper price with a data plan will be tempting to some, though, and if you want one of these portable machines, based on what I've read and experienced with a galaxy S device, I have no doubts that this will be a fine device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I personally don't like the UI on the Galaxy S series phones. Pretty childish and toy-like IMO. Sense UI by HTC is a lot more polished and snazzy looking. That aside, I agree that it's definitely too expensive, especially considering the competition.

However, we're not taking data plans into consideration.
For instance, if Sprint offers its current users access to it with their unlimited data plans, then it's not more expensive than the iPad from that standpoint. Unlimited data for tethering and such pays for its self over and over when you look at how ATT is raping people's pockets with that shoddy 2 gig plan. I'd wait to see how the pricing is going to play out before saying that it's too expensive.

You also have to consider that these devices can and will be rooted, which means that if you don't like the UI, it can be changed... drastically. Can't do that with an iPad. The versatility of the Android OS is what makes it so appealing, but I do also understand that the average Joe will not go through the hassle of learning how to root and such. Not unless the access and literature on how to do such is readily available and easy to understand.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ok:
Sprint will start selling it November 14. US Cellular and AT&T will also offer the Samsung tablet; while no dates have been announced, Engadget this morning said the AT&T version will be available November 21 for $649.

The T-Mobile Galaxy Tab will cost $399.99 with a two year contract after a $50 mail-in rebate. For data, users can sign up for T-Mobile's monthly 5GB or 200MB webConnect mobile broadband plans or its pre-paid mobile broadband offering.

Verizon, meanwhile, will sell the Galaxy Tab without a contract for $600 and a $20 per month 1GB data plan. Sprint will offer it for $399.99 and two data plan options: the 2GB model for $29.99 a month with unlimited messaging and $59.99 a month on the 5GB model with unlimited messaging.

So really, it's not that much better I guess. For $60 a month and 5 gigs worth of data, why bother with an tablet AND a phone ? Not at that price. Not even $30 for 2 gigs makes sense IMO. Not unless you're using the tablet as your main phone device with things like Google Voice, Fring and Skype. But that all seems like a hassle to maintain.

Personally, I don't find any of these options appealing. Neither Android or iPad. Until the day comes when they're open enough to simply tag on another say... $10-$15 on your existing data plans (unless you don't have one I guess?) for almost unlimited data, I'm not even remotely interested. Or unless wifi does become available everywhere you go..which despite the word of other's that it is available everywhere for free, it isn't.

Signed,

Meh.

Reaction score
Not sure about Samsung thing but I can say if it is a contender then end user will be the once beneficial as more features and price was will come to action then ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I think its like HTC over the Iphone. I haven't looked at specs of the Samsung but there's just something that feels much better with Apple products over 3rd party ones.

In terms of the UK I think the data plan will be the deciding factor. All of the Ipad plans are one month contract with no tie in to a contract and the ability to take them out when you want. If you don't want the plan one month you just don't renew it but can still take it out the next month.

Off plan the data costs are dirt cheap (I pay 5 pence a Megabyte) but with the Samsung you have to take a minimum of 24 months, with a credit check and with the minimum cost £17.50 a month and maximum £40 a month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
It's something different, Competition is good for Apple/iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.