• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mass Converting of Video Files

Reaction score
I have A LOT of video files on my mac and I have recently purchased a program for my iPad called AirVideo which allows me to stream these files to my iPad whereever I am. While it can convert the files to MP4 (its best format) this does not give me the instant fix I want from the program.

I was wondering if there was a way I could set my mac up to go through and convert all my video files to MP4 without me having to do each one at a time? and also if I will loose any quality by doing this.

C

chas_m

MP4, nice as it is, is a compressed format (like almost all other formats). So yes, you will LOSE some quality doing any sort of conversion that uses a lossy format.

There are a variety of video-conversion programs out there that can do batch. I use VisualHub, but sadly it's discontinued. You might try Handbrake depending on what format the files are in now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes, as Chas hinted there, Handbrake, but can you let us know what the original format is please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Go to the Handbrake forum...

HandBrake • Index page

There are many posts regarding making videos very small in size, and conversely, making them very large with excellent quality. The parameters for conversion within Handbrake are all changeable by the user, or you can use the built in presets. After you tinker around and find a combination that works well for your mission, you can save that as a new profile and use it each subsequent time without manually setting each parameter. The forum posts have many suggestions for adapting the setting to meet whatever your playback needs happen to be.
To your original question, Handbrake allows you to select files to convert and the target directory to send them to. Along the top if it's GUI there is an option to "Add to queue" as well as "Start". Simply go through and select each item to convert and name it whatever you want, and then hit "Add to queue". I've run a queue of 50 or 60 overnight on my Mini before with no issues. After adding them all to the queue just hit "Start" and they will convert one after the other until complete. If you are running 10.6 remember to install VLC Player 64-Bit as well as the 64-Bit version of Handbrake - it seems to run noticeably faster than the 32-Bit versions. VLC Player is required to be installed and opened at least once before running Handbrake. 64-Bit Handbrake requires 64-Bit VLC to run and 32-Bit Handbrake requires 32-Bit VLC to run.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Why aren't you just using the live streaming option in AirVideo instead of converting each file before watching?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.