• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Ipod video Specs Revealed?

I

IChing

From the article:http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050727-5141.html

It seems that some Sharp sales reps are bragging to potential customers that Apple will be using the Sharp LH7A400 SOC (system on a chip) in the initial version of the video iPod. According to Sharp's product page, the LH7A400 contains the following hardware integrated into one low-power package:

ARM922T 32-bit RISC CPU @ 200MHz, 8K instruction cache/8K data cache, MMU
32-bit external data bus
Internal SRAM
SDRAM controller
Color/Grayscale LCD controller
USB 2.0 Full Speed Device
Multiple UARTs
IrDA
Synchronous serial port
I2C or SMBus
GPIO
Audio CODEC and AC97 Interface
MMC, Smart Card, and PCMCIA/CF support
The chip runs at 1.8V core voltage, sits in a 256-pin PBGA package, and has more than enough muscle to do video playback. In fact, I hear that a roughly iPod-sized engineering sample based on the chip is being shown decoding MPEG4, MP3, and JPEG to a 4:3 aspect ratio color TFT.

If the video iPod is coming this Fall, then Apple would've been working on the product long before they announced the switch to Intel hardware. And by all accounts, the final Intel decision was made at the last minute before the announcement. So Apple would have had to start the video iPod design process with a third-party ARM SOC like the Sharp device named above, even if they now plan to move the device to XScale eventually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.