• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

10.6.5 OS update ..... Is here !!!!! Notice any improvements ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What it updates !!!!!

The 10.6.5 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes that:

- improve reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers
- address performance of some image-processing operations in iPhoto and Aperture
- address stability and performance of graphics applications and games
- resolve a delay between print jobs
- address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an AirPort Extreme
- resolve an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal
- address an issue where dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide
- resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary
- improve performance of MainStage on certain Mac systems
- resolve spacing issues with OpenType fonts
- improve reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays
- resolve a VoiceOver issue when browsing some web sites with Safari 5

Yep it has arrived. The 10.6.5 update is here now via Software Update. Its only 680Mb this time, but i usually dl it from  Support as the Combo Update as to alleviate any System crash or the problems you sometimes get from doing it via SU.
Now i have gone looking for it on the  site and there are reports everywhere on the interweb that it has arrived. So why isnt it available on the  site as yet ??
I have never been in a position to be home only hrs after they have bought a update out, so i have always dl it a day or two later. Do they usually delay the Combo Update at all ??
Anyone know something ?? Just wondering how long i have to wait for the Combo ?? Impatient ?? NO Just have the day off work is all and wont to do it lol Anything would be great

Cheers

Reaction score
It's about time they did something with the Wikipedia issues in Dictionary- I couldn't see the rest of the article!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
I do not notice any improvements 3d graphics wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I did it SU and have not noticed anything but nothing of mine is broke either.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Its only 680Mb this time

Strange. As it is 517.3MB for me from software update.
And I've never had any issues with SU. So I'll get to slowly download it with my Australian (read super slow) internet connection.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And I've never had any issues with SU. So I'll get to slowly download it with my Australian (read super slow) internet connection.

It was 517MB and some change here with my C2D Mac Mini. The Combo updater though is around 1GB!!! WOW!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It was around ~517 MB here. I still have no idea how Apple decides which version you get since there seems to be different versions of the same update (many people have different size updates). I think maybe they check what you have installed but I'm not exactly sure.

It was 517MB and some change here with my C2D Mac Mini. The Combo updater though is around 1GB!!! WOW!
This is why I'm glad I have a good broadband connection and no need for the combo.

I noticed though that the Apple update servers were slow yesterday. It took about 45 minutes to download the ~517MB update which should have downloaded much faster. Anyone else experience slow downloads when getting this update through SU?

Reaction score
It took about ≈10 minutes to download, and then three minutes to install, reboot and get back to the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Shouldn't this be in the OSX forum and not in rumors? It's a fact now. I'm just saying...

There's also another thread there about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Shouldn't this be in the OSX forum and not in rumors? It's a fact now. I'm just saying...

There's also another thread there about this.

There is a thread in OS forum. But technically this is Rumors and Reports forum and this is a report on the new update. So... yeah.

Anyways, I just updated after doing a T.M. backup. 1.88 GB combo update. Yeesh! :Oops:

No noticed changes other than 2-finger scrolling in Safari is a little less "fluid" than before. Now scrolling is more akin to when you click on the down or up arrow in the scroll bar. Sort of advances by "sections" instead of small increments. Does that make sense? Anyone else notice that? It's too sensitive when I use 2-finger scrolling. Jumps by large amounts. Not liking that at all...

I read in the OS forum of M-F forums that some people couldn't get Airport to connect to their wi-fi with "n" routers after the update. That's why I backed up and why I went with the combo update just in case. No issues on my end using a dual-band router (D-Link DIR-628).

EDIT: I went into System Preferences>Trackpad and found that 2 finger scrolling has "with inertia" and "without inertia" options. Never noticed that before, not sure if it was even there before the update. I changed it to "without inertia" and it's back to normal. :)

Reaction score
No noticed changes other than 2-finger scrolling in Safari is a little less "fluid" than before. Now scrolling is more akin to when you click on the down or up arrow in the scroll bar. Sort of advances by "sections" instead of small increments. Does that make sense? Anyone else notice that? It's too sensitive when I use 2-finger scrolling. Jumps by large amounts. Not liking that at all…

That "let-off-and-it-keeps-going" thing with the two-fingered scroll? That's been there since Apple introduced the Magic Trackpad. I like the ability to scroll to the top of a webpage or bottom of a webpage in a flick. It's like browsing my iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
I already did the 10.6.5 update through SU and everything is working fine. Im curious though, what is the difference between the regular update and the one listed as combo. I noticed different file sizes on the apple website and they are even listed seprately. Should I also download the combo update? I just don't know what it is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I already did the 10.6.5 update through SU and everything is working fine. Im curious though, what is the difference between the regular update and the one listed as combo. I noticed different file sizes on the apple website and they are even listed seprately. Should I also download the combo update? I just don't know what it is

Curious about this, too. Mine was around 517mb, I believe. Took all of 10 minutes to dl and another 3-5 minutes to install and reboot.

No differences here, to me, but I was playing car town on facebook and shut down the macbook after the install.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just a heads up, the 10.6.5 Combo updater is up on Apple support now for download.

Apple - Support - Downloads

Got it now Thanks. 1gb is a huge update ..... 37min dl

Yea dont know why the 680mb but ill give my suggestion in answer to van ..... Took me 37min with a speedtest of 3.7gb/s on a 8.1gb line

It was around ~517 MB here. I still have no idea how Apple decides which version you get since there seems to be different versions of the same update (many people have different size updates). I think maybe they check what you have installed but I'm not exactly sure.

Yea it could well do. If some people getting a mixture of the combo or SU update over the life of the OS there is sure to be a difference.
My MBP came with 10.6.4 so if that has anything to do with it as well ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a fresh install of SL, and then updated to 10.6.5...no real difference besides the stupid fast boot time and program startups!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van, it did seem slower than normal with the Software Update server. It was really getting hammered.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So it wasn't just me then. Good to know. I don't remember this happening in the past but to be fair, I usually don't pay attention when SU is updating OS X.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it wasn't just me then. Good to know. I don't remember this happening in the past but to be fair, I usually don't pay attention when SU is updating OS X.

What no one noticed (probably because most are running SL now) is there was also a Security Update released for 10.5.8 Leopard. It was over 200MB and that came down on my iMac G5 a lot slower than normal.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many updates released at the same time maybe? I would imagine that 10.5/10.6 covers at least 90% of the Mac user base.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.