Macbook Pro Fan Running Louder Than Ever Before? :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hiya Folks!

So interesting problem (if it even is a problem) with my Macbook Pro, not sure if there is anything I can do about it or not but a bit concerned. So first, the specs on my machine if that matters...

Late 2009 unibody 15 inch Macbook Pro
2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Ram
500 GB HD 7200RPM
The Optional 512 Graphics Card

Ok soooo...

Since I had my mac for the last year or so the laptop runs extremely quite. Like to the point where you can't even tell that it's running. Only when it starts really warming up when tasking harder will the fans start to really kick in and run just barely loud enough to hear.

However, as of recently though (about the last week or two) I've noticed that my fans run as if the laptop is hot right at start up no matter how cool the machine is and no matter how small and basic the tasking is. I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of my mac at all but the fan noise is def. there constantly now. Now I don't want to over exaggerate here or anything, it's not like a 747 taking off and it honestly is still pretty quite but for the last year the fan only seems to kick in when hot (always working but working louder when hot) and it ran really quite, now it's always spinning a to where you can hear it.

If it's all normal, it's fine. Just concerened that it could be something more.

Any experience or ideas guys and gals?

And thank you for everyone in advance! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hiya Folks!

So interesting problem (if it even is a problem) with my Macbook Pro, not sure if there is anything I can do about it or not but a bit concerned. So first, the specs on my machine if that matters...

If it's all normal, it's fine. Just concerened that it could be something more.

Any experience or ideas guys and gals?

We get this question all the time...and in most cases this fan noise is normal. If this fan noise has only gotten louder recently...there are two possible reasons:

1. You're doing something differently with your computer in the past 1-2 weeks that you weren't doing for the past year (like watching allot of videos or playing games, or simply using a new application that makes the cpu or gpu work harder).

2. Your laptop is dirty inside (specifically the fans)...and this is causing your laptop to run hotter. It has happened to others...and after cleaning (if the laptop was found to be dirty)...the fan noise/heat issues were greatly lessened.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We first need to determine if you have installed any new programs lately that could be running upon startup - and taxing the CPU. Or any other processes that may be running and heavily using the CPU.

Check here: System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items.

Also: MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

And finally, open the Activity Monitor.app from Applications, Utilities, and note what's running and how much of the CPU it's using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man you guys are awesome! I know why I'm on here every other day now :)

Ok yall bring up some great points! To answer some...

1. There's not too much I'm doing different honestly, I do use a lot of video, edit pictures through Lightroom, and edit video but I always have.

2. Actually, in the last 3 weeks or so I did install the entire Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection, but I don't have any of them that run at start up and I always close programs and applications out when done with them.

3. I use Tweetdeck heavily but I doubt that puts much stress on the machine.

4. I do listen and download lots of music?

5. Could be dirt. I have no problem going in there myself and cleaning some stuff out.

Now on to check some stuff out that chscag suggested! :)

P.S. chscag I'm in Dallas!

Thanks so much guys for everything so far, will get back with more results shortly.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also here's a screen shot of my activity monitor's CPU usage...nothing going on right now at all :/

Screen shot 2010-11-10 at 2.17.03 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5. Could be dirt. I have no problem going in there myself and cleaning some stuff out.

Of course (as "6string" suggested)...if you're not comfortable disassembling your laptop to "get in there"...or if your computer is still under warranty (Applecare)...it might to best to have Apple check it out. Since you certainly don't want to void your warranty (if it is still covered).

- Nick

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course (as "6string" suggested)...if you're not comfortable disassembling your laptop to "get in there"...or if your computer is still under warranty (Applecare)...it might to best to have Apple check it out. Since you certainly don't want to void your warranty (if it is still covered).

- Nick

Unfortunately, my warranty recently expired otherwise I would. I've taken apart plenty of things before (including my friends macbook pro and a few iphones) so I'm cool with this one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll throw out a "silly" situation that happened to me recently. The weather in my area is most likely getting colder than it is in Texas...have to turn the heat on in my house.

So the other day I was using a space heater for a little extra heat (the space heater was aimed at me)...and the warm/hot air from the space heater caused my laptop's fans to increase in speed (and noise)...when I was doing something that NEVER causes my laptops fans to increase in speed.

So what I'm saying is..sometimes (or many times)...changes in the temperature of the room you are in (or proximity to the output of an air conditioner or space heater)...can cause a laptop to do different things.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, my warranty recently expired otherwise I would. I've taken apart plenty of things before (including my friends macbook pro and a few iphones) so I'm cool with this one.

Just checking...just in case you still had warranty remaining.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
better screen shot would be memory, with all processes selected, as it gives all the details as to what is running and what system taxing is being done.
And yes, my kernel_task frustrates me :p

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll throw out a "silly" situation that happened to me recently. The weather in my area is most likely getting colder than it is in Texas...have to turn the heat on in my house.

So the other day I was using a space heater for a little extra heat (the space heater was aimed at me)...and the warm/hot air from the space heater caused my laptop's fans to increase in speed (and noise)...when I was doing something that NEVER causes my laptops fans to increase in speed.

So what I'm saying is..sometimes (or many times)...changes in the temperature of the room you are in (or proximity to the output of an air conditioner or space heater)...can cause a laptop to do different things.

- Nick

That's VERY interesting and could be possible I suppose. It's become cooler here but not cold enough for heaters yet at least not most of the time. But will be paying attention to that detail from now on though.

better screen shot would be memory, with all processes selected, as it gives all the details as to what is running and what system taxing is being done.
And yes, my kernel_task frustrates me :p

Here you go :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you edit the post, and remove my screenshot, as I didn't realise that I put my unedited screenshot in with my full name be mistake lol

As for your screenshot, even though it's only your processes, really looks quite normal.... as in nothing running that I can see that would fluctuate that much.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you edit the post, and remove my screenshot, as I didn't realise that I put my unedited screenshot in with my full name be mistake lol

As for your screenshot, even though it's only your processes, really looks quite normal.... as in nothing running that I can see that would fluctuate that much.

Sure! I'll actually just go ahead and remove right now! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

So, I guess just keep an eye on activity monitor next time the fans take off, and meanwhile, when you get the chance, check out your fans for dirt.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys!

Just a quick update. Took my laptop "apart" and fans are clean enough it seems. Don't think that's the problem. :(

Could it have anything to do with the way the OS is telling the fan to run or something along those lines? I have no clue...

It's not that noise bothers me so mush as the fact that it's unusual which concerns me.

I just turned my laptop on for the first time today right now and fans are running high as if it's been tasking for the last two hours and hot.

Thanks so much again guys! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free smcFanControl and install it. That will allow you to monitor the speed of the Fan(s) and temperature. Set it to the default fan speeds. Don't try to increase or decrease the speeds.

Let us know what the speed of fans are and at what temperature in C.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26ghz 4GB, iPod nano 1st & 3rd gen., iPod touch 2nd gen.
quick question. whats the kernel_task?

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guy's yall are awesome!

Ok so I installed smcFanControl and right now I'm reading 109 F and fan speed at 2001rpm for both fans (though jumps from 1997rpm to 2001rpm).

Normal?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.