Upgrading from 10.3.9 to 10.6 in one go !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dec 03 iMac, 1.25GHz G4 proccessor, 120GB Hard Drive, 1Gb DDR SDRAM, OSX 10.3.9 Panther
Hi Everybody,

I have an iMac, purchased in December 2003, with a 1.25GHz G4 proccessor and a 120GB Hard Drive; it also now has 1Gb DDR SDRAM, it was supplied with OSX Panther and I have applied all the on line updates to get me to version 10.3.9.

I want to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes but now apparently need to upgrade my operating system to support this.

I understand that OSX has moved up from 10.3 Panther through 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard and is now at 10.6 Snow Leopard.

When I asked about upgrading last year on the forum (when 10.5 Leopard was the latest thing) I was told I could just buy the newest software and it would allow me to upgrade right through.

I have recently bought Snow Leopard (10.6) but the install programme fails to run on my 10.3.9 machine; does anybody know what I need to do to fix this; I will buy the earlier versions (10.4 and 10.5) if I must; but before I do that I really need to know if that is the correct technical solution.

If there is anybody out there who knows the answer to this/has experienced this I would be very pleased to hear about it

Regards

AppleUser2009

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can't do it...your iMac has a G4 processor...you need a Macintosh with an Intel processor to install Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. The newest OS you can install on your computer is OS 10.5.8.

When you asked your question last year...when OS 10.5 was the latest & greatest OS version...the advice you got was correct. But things have changed (and OS 10.6 was released, August, 2009)...and now 10.5.8 is the latest you can install...due to the processor limitations I described above.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
pigoo3 is absolutely right, there is always limitations to which operating system you can upgrade to. even the new imac and macbook range that has just come out will eventually get limited to a top operating system. For more info on all mac computers download the free Mac Tracker app, its pretty awesome Mactracker

- Simon

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dec 03 iMac, 1.25GHz G4 proccessor, 120GB Hard Drive, 1Gb DDR SDRAM, OSX 10.3.9 Panther
Nick,

Many thanks for your helpful reply; now I have looked on the Snow Leopard packaging I note it says (although in very small print) that an intel procesor is required . . oh dear !

OK so now I have some software I can't use . . no doubt I can find a suitable home for that; however what do I do next, I assume my options are to upgrade the operating system software to 10.5 Leopard and accept that that's as far as I can go with this machine; or to upgrade my computer to an Intel processor (is that really an option); or just buy a new computer and recycle the 2003 machine.

Any personal thoughts on those options would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your previous input; it was right on the button.

Robin

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simon,

Thanks for your input too . . you and Nick seem to have this stuff nailed down pretty well.

Mactracker looks like an useful site . at first look it seems I could get the software upgrade to 10.5 Leopard I need there or I am missing something ?

Thanks for your response.

Robin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You have two options: 1) Upgrade machine to Leopard and 2) Get a new Mac. Both options require you to spend money.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK so now I have some software I can't use . . no doubt I can find a suitable home for that; however what do I do next, I assume my options are to upgrade the operating system software to 10.5 Leopard and accept that that's as far as I can go with this machine; or to upgrade my computer to an Intel processor (is that really an option); or just buy a new computer and recycle the 2003 machine.

"Kash" pretty much already answered your questions.

I'll add my 2 cents:;)

- you cannot upgrade anything in your iMac G4 other than the hard drive & ram (cannot upgrade the cpu)
- yes...you could upgrade your computer to OS 10.5...that will cost you at least $100...maybe more. This is a perfectly acceptable option...if you don't have any software that requires OS 10.6
- finally, you could (and would have to) purchase a new (or newer used computer) with an Intel processor...especially if you want to use software that needs OS 10.6.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Thanks again for the speedy response - this forum is really good (well the members anyway); so I now know I can't upgrade the trusty iMac to an intel processor spec; but I want to keep it for a while longer as it stores all my photos (iPhoto) and all my music (iTunes) for syncing to my iPod and I can't bear the thought of moving those to a new environment just yet, although I am also using a Windows 7 enabled Sony laptop.

So what about this Mactracker website that Simon mentioned . . that appears to offer freeware downloads unless I am not understanding what I have seen; and there is a download option for upgrading from 10.3.9 . . so if I don't want to spend $100 or so (as Kash intimated) why not the Mactracker route . . unless you have heard any horror stories from previous users of this site ?

As ever I am keen to hear your opinion on this . . before I do anything potentially risky; your record so far is pretty good !!

Thanks again

Robin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Thanks again for the speedy response - this forum is really good (well the members anyway); so I now know I can't upgrade the trusty iMac to an intel processor spec; but I want to keep it for a while longer as it stores all my photos (iPhoto) and all my music (iTunes) for syncing to my iPod and I can't bear the thought of moving those to a new environment just yet, although I am also using a Windows 7 enabled Sony laptop.

No problems here. There's absolutely no reason why you cannot continue to use your iMac G4. In fact (given the value of your iMac G4)...there's no reason why you couldn't buy a used or new Intel based Mac computer (if you wanted to)...and keep your iMac G4 for the purposes you mentioned (photos & music for your iPod).

So what about this Mactracker website that Simon mentioned . . that appears to offer freeware downloads unless I am not understanding what I have seen; and there is a download option for upgrading from 10.3.9 . . so if I don't want to spend $100 or so (as Kash intimated) why not the Mactracker route . . unless you have heard any horror stories from previous users of this site ?

Yes "Mactracker" does contain allot of free software downloads...but most of these are:

- free software updates for applications or games someone has already purchased (minor incremental updates)
- demo software that you eventually have to pay for
- or some truly "free" software where if you like it...the author would appreciate a donation

But "Mactracker" does not offer "free" major Mac OS upgrades/updates. Going from Mac OS 10.3 to 10.4, 10.3 to 10.5, or 10.4 to 10.5 is a "major" upgrade...and is not free.

Also (just to be fair)...I was the one that mentioned the $100 (maybe even $125-$150) cost to upgrade to 10.5 (not Kash).:) I didn't want Kash catching "heck" from you in case you considered that a "negative" thing.;)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick,

Thanks again for the input; I had in fact looked more closely at the Mactracker site since my last post and realised that it was downloads of the application that were available for the older releases of OSX not the operating system itself . . . so more help needed; where do I go to get a retail copy of the most up-to-date OSX that will work on my machine (I guess that's 10.5 Leopard?); I don't see this at the Apple store !!

Apologies to Kash about the $100 . . however he had first mentioned I would have to spend some money !! Anyway I am happy to purchase the legitimate retail software if I can buy it somewhere . . preferably from somewhere in the UK.

Any ideas from you or from anybody else reading this script would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Robin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I would look at ebay, although make sure its the black disks you get and not the grey ones, as the grey ones are very much model specific where-as the black ones are retail disks.

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
. . . so more help needed; where do I go to get a retail copy of the most up-to-date OSX that will work on my machine (I guess that's 10.5 Leopard?); I don't see this at the Apple store !!

Two ways:

1. You can get a full retail install version of 10.5 on e-Bay UK. I didn't realize you were in the UK...but the price of 10.5 will most likely be between $100-$200 USD on e-Bay UK. These are "black" discs with a big "X" on them. DO NOT buy the less expensive gray/grey discs...they are model specific...and the chance that you will get a "gray disc" that works with your iMac will be very slim.

2. Here in the US...folks have been successful calling Apple via their "800" contact number. It seems that they are able to get 10.5 disks for their computer for around $15-$16 USD (very inexpensive). These are most likely the "correct" gray discs for the specific model computer in question. You just need to have your computers serial number handy before making the call. I would imagine that this "service" is also available to Mac Users in the UK.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple provides an easy way to transfer all your files and settings from one Mac to the next. So don't worry about losing pictures and music, just run the Migration Assistant and in under an hour your new Mac will essentially be the same as your old Mac, except with faster hardware and a new OS. All of your personal files will be right where they were on your old system

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.