Safari Taking Control Of Address Bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi Everyone!
Hope Your Day Is Going Well!

Here's a little situation I have with Safari (Version 4.1.2) that drives me crazy (well, a little crazy):

When I type in an address in the address bar, Safari guesses where I want to go & fills in the rest- often incorrectly. Here's an example:
If I type in "Lowes" (no quotes: Used them to stop the URL & advertisement that got inserted- Saw it when I previewed this post) to go to Lowes web site, Safari very politely fills in "Lowest Prices On Machinery Tools And Shop Supplies" along with the URL of Use-Enco.com. There is a drop down list with more to select, including 1-800-Flowers. If I'm not looking & type in "Lowes", I get sent to Enco.

Of course, I turned off everything at Preferences-Autofill. I've tried resetting Safari, individually resetting all of the stuff that's listed in Reset. Enco is not in my address book nor bookmarks.

I have not ditched the plists at Users-Library-Safari nor at Users-Library-Preferences-com.apple.Safari.plist because I'm sure to dump the wrong one & goof things up.

Do any of you know how to stop this crazy thing? (And, if it is possible, empty the drop down list.) Oddly, the drop down list doesn't keep new stuff. For example- If I go to a web site by typing in the URL, it is only on the list until I reset Safari. But, the old ones stay. (At least the Enco one stays)

This certainly isn't a life altering problem, but I'd love to make it stop!
Thanks,
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Try this...
When you have Safari open, click on History in the top menu bar and at the very bottom is "Clear History". See if that doesn't stop the autofill.

EDIT: I just noticed you're using 4.1.2, so I'm not 100% sure the menus are the same but I think they are. Why not update Safari to the most recent version? 5.0.2

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
I've tried clearing History when I clear the other stuff. No luck.
As far as I cal tell, 5.0.2 is for Leopard. (I use 10.4.11 still)
Thanks,
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.