My Macbook can't see my home network

Reaction score
OK, here goes, asked on Apple support but no joy there.

I have a Macbook..
2.4Ghz Intel
4GB Ram
500GB HD
Snow Leopard

Trying to find my home network, which is run on a Belkin Router.

Up until a couple of days ago, everything was working fine. Then yesterday afternoon I switched on my Macbook and found it unable to connect to the bet. I discovered that the Macbook could not see te network (though according to the router, the network could see my Macbook. (according to the router anyway)

I am using my Media Centre PC to type this, on the very network that the Macbook refused to find and other users are on the network as usual.

And my Macbook can connect to other networks fine - I used my MyFi dongle to browse the net yesterday.

Can anyone help, I much prefer my Macbook to Windows!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Go to System Prefs> Network> Advanced then delete (by using the minus button) the selected network (the one your having trouble with) from the preferred network list. Turn Aiport off (the check box at the bottom of the same page) restart the macbook, turn the airport back on try to re-connect now.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try setting your routers settings to 'access point only' if it lets you in advanced settings

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
I had a look at doing that, but it looks as if it would mess up the settings for all other computers on the network, especially as it was working OK before.

I'm tempted to do a fresh Snow Leopard install, especially as I have a backup on my extrnal hard drive via Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The settings for the other computers shouldn't be messed up much at all, you may have to re-pair them with the router but thats about it.

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
Well I tried it, still no joy (after a restart too) so I've put it back how it was. Thanks anyway, looks like a reinstall is on the cards

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm at the same situation again - went down for dinner after using my network to browse the internet, came back up and it's at the screen where you select the network to connect to.

Nothing changed the router end, tried restarting router, resetting MacBook, all the steps suggested above but still nothing.

Can connect to other networks (typing this using my 3 MyFi) and all the other computers on the network can see it (including my own PS3)

Last time I resolved it by reinstalling my Macbook, don't really want to do that again.

Have installed no new applications by the way, and no recent settings changes either

Reaction score
I think your problem may be in fact with the router itself. You have obviously tried changing the computer and that has not procured a permanent fix. You said yourself that you haven't changed anything with the router lately. I would try changing the channel on your router. I do not know what kind of environment you live in but sometimes there can be interference with other networks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD
I assume the MacBook's physical location is the same as when it was working with no problem. Coreect?

Any new electronics in the home that might interfere with the wireless signal? A new microwave, a new wireless telephone, etc.

Any new nearby networks show up on your other wireless computers? Maybe a neighbor's new network is interfering.

Any change in the location of a piece of electronics in the home, e.g., did you move your large screen tv to a new location between your router and the MacBook?

I assume the small antenna that most routers have has not been accidentally moved or repositioned?

If there were no software or preference changes on either the router or the MacBook, I would be looking for new sources of possible interference first. If other systems are working wirelessly in the house, it wouldn't appear to be a mechanical problem with the router.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I think a channel change could help as nothing else has changed. It literally went why I was having dinner. I can still see networks from other people right down the road, the list is growing so maybe the channel is it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.