Annoying Safari problem...

Reaction score
I updated Safari yesterday to (what I assume is) the latest version (4.1.2), in the vain hope of solving an annoying problem - but it didn't.

What still happens is this: I can usually open Safari without too much of a wait and then after navigating a couple of pages, it hangs.

Simply quitting doesn't help. I have to disconnect my modem and then re-start.

After the re-start Safari doesn't open (the progress bar loads half way), so what I have to do is quit the browser and then re-open. This usually works, and is annoying in itself, but since it has started hanging in mid-navigation (in the past couple of days), has prompted my question.

For the record I'm using a Mac Mini Power PC with 1Gb RAM.

I've not installed anything untoward and a thorough scan with Norton hasn't shown any viruses. I've tried cleaning the cache, history and suchlike and even reset Safari several times.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would remove the anti virus program and see if that did not speed things up they are usually more problematic than anything.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, but my problems have been a fairly recent phenomenon and I'm sure hasn't anything to do with Norton which I've had for several years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've not installed anything untoward and a thorough scan with Norton hasn't shown any viruses. I've tried cleaning the cache, history and suchlike and even reset Safari several times.

Of course Norton hasn't found a virus. There are none for Macs.

Cleaning the cache and history really are subsets of resetting Safari.

Since that hasn't helped, you could try moving the plist file out onto your Desktop so it will make a default plist.

If that doesn't help, you should try logging in under a different user account.

OP
W
Reaction score
I think Mac viruses are very rare rather than non-existent - worth checking Norton because it is a recent phenomenon, which suggests something that either I've done or a third-party program has done.

I'll try the plist suggestion, but can you please explain what a plist is and where it can be found?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Mac Viruses aren't rare, they are non existent.
Basically, .plst files are property files used to store information for your apps.
The Safari .plst will be found in user/library/preferences and will be com.apple.safari.plst

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the info regarding the plist. I'll give it a try......

Later: No luck. If anything it's worse - so I've put the original plist back into prefs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks for the info regarding the plist. I'll give it a try......

Later: No luck. If anything it's worse - so I've put the original plist back into prefs.
Ok, smart move. It resets all the preferences you've changed back to the defaults. So you are back to where you started.

you could try moving the plist file out onto your Desktop so it will make a default plist.

If that doesn't help, you should try logging in under a different user account.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Two questions occur to me that might help narrow things down a bit.

1. Are you experiencing problems/slowdowns with any other programs besides Safari?
2. Eons ago when I was running Norton I think it had an option to temporarily disable the software without removing it. That might be worth a try. I had an issue a time or two where Norton would suddenly stop playing nice with some applications. It usually occurred after an update of some sort (System software, Norton, or third-party application). I know you updated Safari after the problem started but it's worth investigating. It could be that the "newer" version of Safari does not update the component contributing to the problem.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi Slydude,

Yes, I am experiencing the same problems with Firefox which suggests it's not strictly a Safari problem?

Certainly no problems using other programs offline eg, photoshop, illustrator, etc.

Just seems to be an online problem - earlier this morning I was able to navigate to two pages before it hung. Just now I've been navigating between sites (using Safari) and pages for a good 20 minutes (30 odd pages), so it's not even a consistent fault!

I'll uninstall Norton now and see if that helps....

UPDATE: I hope I'm not tempting providence but I've been whizzing around various sites and pages without any problems. And pages seem to be loading quicker (would quicker page loading make sense after uninstalling Norton?).

Incidentally (and apropos nothing more than idle curiosity) why is there no feature to keep "private browsing' on permanently? I would have thought such a feature would make sense particularly as I sometimes forget to make sure it's on when sending sensitive information and suchlike.

Thanks

OP
W
Reaction score
EVEN LATER UPDATE:

Things seem to be running far more smoothly now (he said with fingers crossed!), and faster. So thanks to you all for your helpful suggestions and ideas.

Be Well.......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.