• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple discussion censoring

Reaction score
Yesterday I made a posting about Apple Aperture 3 on Apple's discussion forum. Today I received an email saying that the posting had been removed. Do you think Apple is right to remove it?

The posting read:

I am surprised that Apple allows its software to be released with an elementary spelling mistake. In the raw decoding sharpening setting, someone has written "affect" in the pop-up tool tip when what they meant was "effect".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I don't think it's 'right' that they removed it - but it is their right to remove it.

You would have thought a reply along the lines of 'Thank you for spotting the spelling mistake! [insert solution here]' would have been helpful.

OP
I
Reaction score
@Schweb: What I meant was, would you have considered my posting inflammatory or otherwise unsuitable and removed it if it had been up to you?

OP
I
Reaction score
I don't think it's 'right' that they removed it - but it is their right to remove it.

You would have thought a reply along the lines of 'Thank you for spotting the spelling mistake! [insert solution here]' would have been helpful.

That's how i felt. I just think it reflects on Apple, that they should censor such a harmless, factual (and helpful) remark.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
@Schweb: What I meant was, would you have considered my posting inflammatory or otherwise unsuitable and removed it if it had been up to you?

It wouldn't matter what his (or my) personal opinion happened to be. It has to do with the rules of the individual forum, what is allowed and what is not allowed.

We probably allow a great many things Apple does not allow in their forums. On the other hand, there are things not allowed here, that other forums do allow.

Apple has their method for bug reporting and I don't believe they allow that in the forum.

Here and here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yes, because Apple's forum guidelines clearly state that the forums are not for reporting bugs.

If it violated their terms, it was their right to remove it, just as if you break any of our Community Guidelines, we will remove your post here. Whether anyone particularly agrees or not is irrelevant, there's no free speech when it comes to private message boards. You have to play by the rules that are setup for that space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
if you break any of our Community Guidelines, we will remove your post here. Whether anyone particularly agrees or not is irrelevant, there's no free speech when it comes to private message boards. You have to play by the rules that are setup for that space.

Cheers to this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
private forums, they can remove whatever they want.
or edit whatever they want, same with these forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
just as if you break any of our Community Guidelines, we will remove your post here. Whether anyone particularly agrees or not is irrelevant, there's no free speech when it comes to private message boards. You have to play by the rules that are setup for that space.

It's like the law. You don't have to agree with it. Most people do not agree. But it exists for the good of the people. Cause without law there would be chaos and anarchy. And the same no these forums. Sure one or 2 good and legitimate posts get deleted. But that's price we pay to ensure the waves of spam are kept from these M-F forums.

If you don't like rules, make your own forums with no rules. And be prepared for every man and his dog to abuse the "no rules". If there is something to abuse, it's in human nature to abuse it. So we need the rules to make sure things are treated properly and not abused.

And to the OP. There's a time and a place for everything. And the time and place for your bug report was the Apple feedback page and not the forums. hence your deleted post.

Reaction score
I am surprised that Apple allows its software to be released with an elementary spelling mistake.

That's what I would call inflammatory, yes. It sounds really sarcastic and . . . as if you expect infallibility (it's not like there were misspellings all over the place, I assume).

I think we get too used to public complaining on forums that serves no real purpose other than venting. Best to report a sincere concern directly to someone who can do something about it.

For example, this past winter I found some rather basic errors in a German grammar book published by a British company. This was the second edition; the first edition did not contain these errors, making it all the more concerning. I looked up the company online and found the email for the lead editor for the foreign language division of the publisher. I emailed her to express my concern and, in the end, was even offered a free copy of the next edition coming out in 2011, a $50+ value. Point being, it was far more productive to take my concerns to the source, not the peanut gallery ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.