intermittent macbook pro screen problem

Reaction score
Have a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook pro, running 10.6.3, that sometimes has a "screen" problem characterized by distorted blurry lines. A screenshot is attached.
When it happens, I can turn the computer off and on several times and it will come back. I try startup with disc and same problem. Finally after enough tries it goes away on startup.
Does this look familar?

MACBOOK PRO SCREEN PROBLEM JPG.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
That looks like the sign of a graphics card thats either overheating or failing, are you still under warranty? What graphics card do you have in that Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
That looks like the sign of a graphics card thats either overheating or failing, are you still under warranty? What graphics card do you have in that Pro?

Yeah looks like a graphics card issue and since the graphics card is soldered onto the motherboard, it's a motherboard issue. If your still under warranty Apple should take care of it. If not better start looking on ebay or elsewhere for replacement parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I had the same laptop (2.5Ghz, though) and the exact same thing happened after two years of usage. Since it's a graphics card issue (I am assuming you have GeForce 8600M GT as well) you'll have to get the whole motherboard (logic board, as it is called) replaced.

You can do that for free at any authorized Apple store. Even if your one/two-year warranty expired, there's still one called Apple Extended Warranty which covers the GeForce 8500M GT's failure for four years from purchase date. So you're safe.

Edit: For more information, http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

OP
S
Reaction score
Macbook Pro video card thanks

Thanks very much for advice. Going to Apple Store with printout from link detailing problem and possible warranty extension.
THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.