• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

.exe files

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lennyzero

Hello people

I'll make this short and sweet. I've been pulling my hair out wondering if Mac's can play .exe, .cue or .nrg files. I suspect not, and think it's a dark windows pc thingy, but I could be wrong.

much appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
not sure about the other 2, but the mac os can not run .exe

however you can try virtual pc if you really need to run those on a mac

OP
L

lennyzero

Many. many, many Thanks

you're a star

I too was unsure abot those pesky .exe files

cheers

OP
B

Bluewolf

MacAddikt said:
not sure about the other 2, but the mac os can not run .exe

however you can try virtual pc if you really need to run those on a mac

Apart from running virtual windows is there no other way to open the .EXE file? Or change the extention to something else that will work on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
wow old thread ... .exe is a program file. The only remotely similar programs to run a .exe is X11, The Terminal, or VPC. And non of those options cept vpc actually run the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Bluewolf said:
Apart from running virtual windows is there no other way to open the .EXE file? Or change the extention to something else that will work on a Mac?

nope.

OP
N

Nightblade

.exe is KINDA like the Windows equivalent of .dmg, right? I mean, I know there are differences, since on Windows the actual program has the .exe file extension IN ADDITION to the unmounted version, but they're essentially equivalents, right?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Nightblade said:
.exe is KINDA like the Windows equivalent of .dmg, right? I mean, I know there are differences, since on Windows the actual program has the .exe file extension IN ADDITION to the unmounted version, but they're essentially equivalents, right?

No, they are different.

.exe are pc applications or programs, whereas I believe that a.dmg is a load module.

OP
T

The Saab Pimp

.dmg files are Disk Images. when you un-compress them, they essentially become a stand-alone mini-partition of your HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
.exe in the pc world is the basic .--- for everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
And lately true executables have other then .exe extentions GO *certain other os* :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
exe on windows = .app on OS X :)

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

A .exe is a Windows executable file. It usually relies on Windows libraries, and unless you have the source, there is essentially no way to get it run on a Mac.

OP
T

The mac 13

lennyzero said:
Hello people

I'll make this short and sweet. I've been pulling my hair out wondering if Mac's can play .exe, .cue or .nrg files. I suspect not, and think it's a dark windows pc thingy, but I could be wrong.

much appreciated

.exe is a windows extension. i m used 2 c it all the time!BAH! :D

Reaction score
Aren't a lot of .exe files just .zip files with an autoextract wrapper added to them -- kind of like the difference in the old days between a .sit Stuffit file and .sea self-extracting archive? So, one thing you can try with the .exe file is to drag it on top of Stuffit Expander and see if anything comes out the other end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
miggles said:
Aren't a lot of .exe files just .zip files with an autoextract wrapper added to them -- kind of like the difference in the old days between a .sit Stuffit file and .sea self-extracting archive? So, one thing you can try with the .exe file is to drag it on top of Stuffit Expander and see if anything comes out the other end.

nope won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.