Customize Keyboard Keys on Black Macbook

Reaction score
Greetings,
Does anybody know of a way to strip the black keyboard keys of their paint? I'm trying to make an all-white keyboard w/o letters. I could go about it two ways: (1) remove the entire black paint from the keys on a black MacBook; (2) remove the letters from just a white MacBook.

IOW, does anyone know what paint MAC uses for their keys?

I'd prefer not to use sandpaper or anything that might leave abrasive scratches on the keys. Has anyone tried using an acetone-based solvent? I'm a bit frightened that might destroy the integrity of the keys.

- Garrett

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't have any answers for you, but I am fascinated by what you are doing. Are you doing this for aesthetics? If you get this done I hope you post of pic of it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do not use any type of fluid; acetone, water, etc, on your keyboard! If any of the fluid gets on the logic board beneath, you will have ruined your machine.

There are plenty of videos available which show how to remove the key caps from the keyboard and replace them. Use Google to find them. Removing the key caps is the safest and best way to do what you want.

OP
G
Reaction score
Jackson, I will definitely post some pictures if I can figure it out.

Chscag, I would never pour these fluids onto my keyboard. I've taken the keys off of the Mac, and, now, I'm trying to find a solution to remove the paint.

I've found a product that is used to remove graffiti from surfaces. It sounds like it might work for the keys. I'm going to try and pick some up tonight. If it works, I'll post pictures of the finished product.

In the meantime, any other suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
More than likely if you want to remove the letters/numbers on the keys of your Apple notebook...you would have to use:

- some sort of physical method (abrasion)
- a chemical method (some sort of solvent like alcohol, acetone, etc.)
- or simply long term use...since I've seen Apple laptops with the letters/numbers worn off thru longterm use.

Obviously either the physical-abrasion or chemical method is probably what you're looking to do. As you mentioned...the abrasion method would most likely leave some sort of visible "scratching"...so this may not be a good choice.

The chemical method would most definitely work (I can almost guarantee that acetone would work)...but the problem here is the chemical used will most likely also damage the plastic the keys are made of. The acetone will "eat" into the plastic...and basically "melt" or dissolve it if the plastic is exposed to the solvent for too long.

Here is what I would suggest if I was going to try this project:

- Get some acetone from Home Depot (or similar hardware/home improvement type store)...or you could try using some nail polish remover (also contains mostly acetone)
- Use cotton balls, a small piece of paper towel, or "Q-Tips" to apply the acetone to the keys.
- have a container of water nearby
- experiment on one key only at first
- quickly (just 2-3 seconds) apply the acetone to the key surface
- then "dunk" and "swish" the key immediately in the water to neutralize the acetone that's on the surface of the key to minimize any chemical reaction with the plastic.
- if all of the letter/number on the key did not come off with the first application...you could try a 2nd application...and then dip in the water again.

You can continue to experiment with this method until you figure out what works. Also...if acetone is not doing the job...you could try a different solvent.

But remember...with this chemical method there are drawbacks. The keys generally have a smooth semi-glossy surface. If you use the chemical on them...not only may you successfully remove the letter/number printed on the key...the surface may also become tacky/sticky...and instead of being slightly glossy...it may develop a more non-shiney matte finish...due to the chemical.

In a perfect world it would be nice to have an old keyboard where you could remove a couple keys to experiment on...rather than jumping right in & experimenting on your "good" laptop keys.

Hope this helps & good luck,

- Nick

p.s. I would add that if someone else reading this post is thinking about trying this chemical method on an Apple laptop with a "backlit" keyboard...DON"T DO IT!!! The letters/numbers on these keys are not removable...since the letter/number on these keys is a "masked off" area when the keys are manufactured. The letters/numbers are actually a "clear" spot on the key surface to allow the backlit light to shine through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The keys aren't painted black. You won't be able to remove the black from the keys.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The keys aren't painted black. You won't be able to remove the black from the keys.

Great clarification Schweb!...just in case the OP was thinking about removing the white lettering/numbering AND "thought" that the "black color" could be removed as well.

To the OP...the keys of a black Macbook are made of plastic that's dyed black (thru & thru)...and cannot be removed (just in case you were thinking you could remove the black color of the keys).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
IMO it makes more sense to just paint the keys the colour you want them.

OP
G
Reaction score
In a perfect world it would be nice to have an old keyboard where you could remove a couple keys to experiment on...rather than jumping right in & experimenting on your "good" laptop keys.

Thankfully, for me, it is a perfect world :)

Great clarification Schweb!...just in case the OP was thinking about removing the white lettering/numbering AND "thought" that the "black color" could be removed as well.

To the OP...the keys of a black Macbook are made of plastic that's dyed black (thru & thru)...and cannot be removed (just in case you were thinking you could remove the black color of the keys).

I had checked this already. The version of the keyboard that I have is, actually, painted. I think it is with the newer keyboards that they started dying the pieces.

I tried many various methods to remove the black paint, and none were very successful or practical. I'll go through a list (for anyone's future reference):
Alcohol: nothing (but used to clean the pieces)

HCL: (hahaha) nothing - only danger

Acetone: somewhat effective, but not very practical (would take forever and ever). I left one piece in the acetone overnight, and as I expected it made the piece extremely malleable/breakable; and, to my surprise barely removed any paint (although, some). Maybe a more concentrated acetone would be more effective? ( I was using nail polish remover)

Graffiti remover: somewhat effective, but not practical. About the same as the acetone, but without very much structural damage (although, it did eat through the plastic cup I had it in...)

Although, I never tried paint thinner...

I think "6string" has the right idea of simply painting the keys. I had delayed this idea thinking it wouldn't be that difficult to remove the paint. So, now, I will try painting the pieces, but I'm unsure of what paint to use...

Any recommendations on a paint that will withstand heat, and not rub off onto the screen or fingers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd be going to an automotive painter for a tiny container of plastic primer and plastic paint.
I'd give a very light sanding to the keys to ensure bondage before painting.
Following that, I'd even want to bake the keys, but I wouldn't risk an oven as I wouldn't know a safe temperature (but maybe the automotive place could recommend the temp), so I would want a sunny day in direct sunlight in dust free environment.
Other option would be just in front of an element heater to dry and bake.

Sheesh, all sounds a bit full on though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.