Reports of Mac Mini's dim displays on VGA monitors

P

Parkin74

I am on the brink of buying a Mac Mini in the hope of using my existing VGA LCD monitor and maybe keyboard and mouse.
The worry I have now is that alot of people including Apple itself, has reported some VGA LCD monitors display a dim, low contrast picture.
Now the whole idea of me getting one of these is firstly I've always wanted a Mac and now I can afford one and the other is I can use my existing equipment.
My monitor is a fairly cheap but decent Acer 1714 VGA LCD and I can’t afford to run out and buy a DVI monitor, so, has anybody got any information on this particular monitor when hooked up to a Mac Mini?
If there is a known problem then I would have to give the Mac Mini a miss, and if I risked it and bought one and there was a problem I'm sure I wouldn't be able to return it.
Can anybody help me out with this dilemma?

OP
P

Parkin74

To answer my own question, YES the Acer 1714 VGA monitor works perfectly with the Mac Mini.

Reaction score
There are VGA input LCD monitors that will look washed out and dim no matter what comp they are hooked up to.

DVI > VGA

Reaction score
I reckon you'll be ok.

I recently switched and accidentally ordered a Mac keyboard with my Mini. ****, I thought! I already have a keyboard. But the Mac keyboard contains all the shortcut keys and a lot of keys specific to the Mini. I wouldn' t swap it for the world now.

I would say you are ok with your monitor but i would get a Mac keyboard if I was you.

Tc

OP
B

badmojo

If you're near an Apple store or a retailer, take your monitor in and hook it up to a mini.

OP
A

Andy74

badmojo said:
If you're near an Apple store or a retailer, take your monitor in and hook it up to a mini.

Cheers lads but like I said in my earlier post, my monitor works fine, actually it looks better than it does on the PC.
Regarding the keyboard TangoCharlie, yeah your right I'll have to invest in one, it makes sense to have the Apple keyboard. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Andy74 said:
Regarding the keyboard TangoCharlie, yeah your right I'll have to invest in one, it makes sense to have the Apple keyboard. :)
Just so you know, there are no keys that are specific to the Mini, or any Apple computer for that matter. Any USB keyboard will be able to carry out all the functions that an Apple keyboard does, with no additional software required.
If you are worried about things like ctrl, backspace, option and the infamous Apple Key(command), these are simply replaced on a Windows keyboard as such:

(ex. Mac/Windows)

ctrl/ctrl

delete/backspace

option/alt

command/Windows Key

The other keys like the fn keys, and such all work the same. You can also set custom settings for your keyboard using the System Properties.
The only reason to purchase an Apple keyboard would be for the asthetics of it. There is no functionallity gained by it. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.