Clarification on wiping HD and restoring from Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
Hi all,

I've recently been having a few problems with my '08 Macbook, so I (as usual!) did a full back up to Time machine and then ran Onyx, which informed me I needed to (among other things) repair the disk via booting from the OSX disc.

I have now done this, but disk utility on the OSX disc informed me it was unable to repair the disc and that I needed to erase the HD, back up all my data and then restore from the back up. Luckily I'd backed up before as at the moment my MB seems incapable of booting to OSX (currently on my bootcamp W7).

So, I'd just like clarification on how to erase the HD then restore from my Time Machine back up approx 13 hrs ago, leaving my MB how it was but without a HD that needs "repairing". Here's how I'd imagine I have to do it:

1. Boot from OSX CD
2. Select Disc Utility and Erase HD
3. Boot from OSX CD again
4. Restore from Time Machine backup

Will this work and/or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Stefan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That's the easiest way, the OS X install process will ask if you have a TM backup and you just select it when the option pops up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.