• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

WP7 US launch marked by small lines, none at Microsoft store

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I loled through class when this was at the top of one of the news headlines. What did they expect with such a weird user interface? That's not taking a step forward, more like taking 10 steps back with that interface. I wonder what Ballmer has to say about this?

The way I see it is, if you want a great phone, get an iphone. Can't afford it, get the latest android phone and still end up with a great phone! WP7 fits nowhere on that list.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with the above. Even some of the android phones of late are slowly getting quite respectable. I fear the people who designed the W7 mobile did not get it. And I think the proof of this is in the final released product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, I find the interface quite interesting. I especially like the social media integration.

I'm definitely going to a store to check it out in person, though of course I'm sticking with my iPhone 4.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Microsoft Tech: Long line* at AT&T store on Phone 7 Day | Network World

This is a fun read. Aparently, there was some bribery involved to get some big lines at the stores.
It turns out though, from comments below, that Microsoft may have used the same concert ticket gimmick for the Kin launch earlier this year, also known as the Kin debacle. "You'd think Microsoft would learn to try something different this time. But no, it's KIN all over gain," wrote the Kin Man. Britton clarified that the concert tickets, a joint AT&T and Microsoft promotion, were given away on a first-come, first-served basis and that no purchase was required.

So yeah on the one line up in the W7 mobile release day, most people bought a concert ticket and not a W7 mobile. But in the iphone 4 launch day there was many many line ups and 100% of the people in the line either bought an iphone or wanted one and missed out on that day.

It seems people are not "into" MS products like back in the 90's. I remember the lines up for Windows 98 on the TV news. Midnight release and it was crazy. But these days most people don't think MS products are "cool" anymore. Hence no need to line up and be one of the first to brag about getting one. Unlike Apple products where the line ups are huge and the unboxings are all over the internet.

For me MS are ticking all the boxes for "A product that does the job it says". But the box for "you will have a lot of fun or seen to be cool while using these products" is empty. I think MS as a brand is not considered cool anymore. MS need to really spice up their image and marketing campaign. And not the dodgy funeral or Jerry Seinfeld in a shoe store tripe. Some real innovative ads that are not cut/change a word or 2/paste from someone else. But a real original idea. I know that's asking a lot from MS. But I think that's what they need.

So in my opinion the products are sound. But flashy and cool but they get the job done. But the marketing and brand like-ability stinks.

Reaction score
The nifty different color themes to me is a sight for sore eyes- I mean compared to the icons-on-a-screen interface that iOS and Android have.

Of course, I would still use an iPhone any day over WP7, but still...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm surprised people are easily swayed by concert tickets. Why?? It just boggles my mind. T_T"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I'm certainly not an MS hater, but I have to say that I just find the interface to be ugly and somewhat awkward. I think I'd stick with my blackberry before I'd make that jump, and my blackberry is about to drive me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Free concert tickets to a sold out show, just for waiting in a line for a few hours? Where do I sign up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm surprised people are easily swayed by concert tickets. Why?? It just boggles my mind. T_T"

To a nearly sold out show, or to not pay the $180 for a good seat ... Yesss please ;P

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
What a shock that MS flops yet again with their product.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My question is: How much money is all these failures costing MS?
Yeah I think it's depleting what ever cash reserves they have in the bank.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My question is: How much money is all these failures costing MS?
Yeah I think it's depleting what ever cash reserves they have in the bank.

I wouldn't worry about Microsoft's cash reserve. They make money every quarter, hand over fist. Yes, a lot of their endeavors are weak or not well-received, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they are very healthy in their core markets.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.