Troubling deciding between the 32gb Wifi and 32gb WiFi + 3G

Reaction score
Hi

Im looking at purchasing an iPad. As i think i will find it useful on my travels to and from university. But i cant decide wether to fork an extra hundred quid and get the 3G version or not. What do u guys think.

Many Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're going to get answers both for & against the 3G...which may or may not help you decide.

Although I don't like paying the extra money...basically what sells me on the 3G is...what happens if you're somewhere where you don't have a WIFI hotspot...and you NEED to connect to the internet. If you don't foresee this situation happening to you...then just get the WIFI version.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Hi

Im looking at purchasing an iPad. As i think i will find it useful on my travels to and from university. But i cant decide wether to fork an extra hundred quid and get the 3G version or not. What do u guys think.

Many Thanks.

I have the 32gb without the 3G. I do have the Verizon MiFi, so I do have connection where ever I go. The girl in my office does have the 32gb with the 3G and the reception is horrible. If it were me, I would go with a different connection other than AT&T 3G. The only plus to the 3G is no contract. With the MiFi it offers me connection whether on the iPad or laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I would definately go with the wifi only version, then you can decide if you want/ need the 3G connection later on by using MiFi or other later on

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Don't base your judgements on someone saying "At&t's signal is bad" unless you are going to be using the ipad in the exact same places that they do. This "signal variable" has kept arguments alive on the internet since the birth of forums and what people seldom understand is that it is entirely a location based opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I got the 3G version for two reasons: first, I wanted to make sure I had the option of being able to access from anywhere should the need arise, and two, the 3G model has GPS, which is very useful for a variety of applications.

Now, keep in mind that in the six months I've owned my iPad, not once have I had a need to use the 3G. I travel quite a bit, and always take my iPad with me. Just goes to show that you can easily find Wi-Fi access pretty much anywhere nowadays. So if you don't foresee yourself ever being out of range of Wi-Fi, then save yourself the money and go with the Wi-Fi model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
bigben90 - you don't mention where you're located. If you are in the UK you'll probably find less WiFi hotspots than in say the US which may sway you towards 3G. Mind you if you live near me in the wilds of East Yorkshire you'll often be lucky to get even a 3G connection outside main towns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I have the 3G iPad too, My only complaint is the crappy data plans/prices other than that ,The 3G is handy to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would definately go with the wifi only version, then you can decide if you want/ need the 3G connection later on by using MiFi or other later on

Ill *ditto* this..... There are some nice prices on MiFi these days

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I have the 3G iPad too, My only complaint is the crappy data plans/prices other than that ,The 3G is handy to have.

What do you pay a month in the US? I was considering getting a monthly data plan for mine but its £15 a month for 3 gigs or 5p a megabyte.

I have had mine since September and have spent about £3 on data as I use it mainly via Wi Fi.

I would say the 3g is a nice option as you never know when you arent going to be able to use Wi Fi. A friend of mine got a 64 Gig Wi Fi only and is selling his because he cant really use it properly when he is out.

In the UK there are less Free Wi Fi Spots than the US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have the WiFi-only iPad. Here's my reasoning....

I already have an iPhone which I have unlimited 3G data. That's my portable device, that's the one I'll be out somewhere and need internet.

I don't really carry my iPad around everywhere I go. I use it at home, at school, or the library, coffee shops, etc that all have WiFi. If I reallllly needed internet somewhere without WiFi, I have my iPhone.

I felt no need to pay twice for a data plan when the reality is I really just don't need a 3G iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I have the WiFi-only iPad. Here's my reasoning....

I already have an iPhone which I have unlimited 3G data. That's my portable device, that's the one I'll be out somewhere and need internet.

Is it unlimited or subject to a fair usage policy? In the UK its subject to fair usage and they will charge if you go above a certain amount.

There was a feature on tv about a guy getting a bill for £400 for sending texts when he thought he had unlimited texts. He had sent 4000 in one month though.

I am just curious how it works in the US as I have seen a lot of my US friends claim its completely unlimited but seems like the networks are missing a trick to make money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Unlimited.

But in the end, no one is going to be able to tell you which to get. You're going to have to make the call based on how you think you'll use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Another plus side to a wifi model, You can tether it to your smart phone and save some money every month.

Noj

Reaction score
Another plus side to a wifi model, You can tether it to your smart phone and save some money every month.

This.

Its really easy to just tether your iPad to your smart phone - espicially if you have an iPhone thats Jailbroken.

Thats what made me go for the wifi only version

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.