Router Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Okay, so I bought a wireless router. Now, I'm just not sure how to set it up. It's second hand so it still has all of the passwords and settings from the previous owner. So I tried the comapny supplied setup wizard. DI-524

And it's not really helping me, the wifi shows up on my school's Macbook, but I am unable to connect or change any passwords on the Wizard. :Confused: What do I need to do to set this thing up? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Search Dlink's support site for the manual for that model and follow the instructions to reset the router. That will put everything back to the default and then you can add your own passwords, etc.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Search Dlink's support site for the manual for that model and follow the instructions to reset the router. That will put everything back to the default and then you can add your own passwords, etc.

I already hit the reset button in the back with a pin. It had no effect. Whenever i try to connect to the router via wifi, it says "no internet connection". :Confused: Should I call my cable company? Is this an issue on their end due to maybe due to a new IP address?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I already hit the reset button in the back with a pin. It had no effect. Whenever i try to connect to the router via wifi, it says "no internet connection". :Confused: Should I call my cable company? Is this an issue on their end due to maybe due to a new IP address?

Do what Schweb recommended...go to D-Link's website...and see if they have an online manual for your router. Also...whenever I've had to setup a router for the first time...I've had to do it via an ethernet cable to do the initial setup.

The setup is done via a numeric webpage address that the manual gives you. Then you setup the router via the browser based Admin page. Once setup...then you can use the router wirelessly.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Here's some D-Link router setup instructions I found in about 10 seconds with Google:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2091714_set-up-dlink-wireless-router.html

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/organization/wirelesssetup.aspx

http://support.tivo.com/euf/assets/files/D-Link_router_setup.pdf

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Okay, so I bought a wireless router. Now, I'm just not sure how to set it up. It's second hand so it still has all of the passwords and settings from the previous owner. So I tried the comapny supplied setup wizard. DI-524

And it's not really helping me, the wifi shows up on my school's Macbook, but I am unable to connect or change any passwords on the Wizard. :Confused: What do I need to do to set this thing up? Thanks.

I own a Dlink DI-524. First, reset it with the reset button in back. Hold it down for maybe 10 seconds and it should revert back to factory settings.

How are you trying to use this? What is your internet? DSL? Cable? What model is the Modem for DSL or Cable you are using? How are you hooking it up? You do NOT need to use the Wizard. I will check on the stock IP after you reset it and tell you how to log into it with your browser.

And remember, don't just push and release the Reset button, Hold it down for 10 seconds then release it.

After reset put this into your browser.

http://192.168.0.1

Username: admin

Password: leave blank.

Here is the manual.
http://www.fixya.com/support/p277725-d_link_airplus_di_524_wireless_router/manual-14181

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@dtravis7 It's Cable internet, with a Cisco modem. I have the Ethernet cable coming out of my modem, plugged into the router's WAN port. Then I have another ethernet cable coming out of port 1, and into my iMac G4. But I'll try the reset button again, and make sure to hold it down for 10 seconds! ;D Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This may be a stupid question but the router was on when you reset it right? I just checked and there is no default admin password so that should work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wow, thanks! I'll try that. Good to know somebody has the same router that I do. ;D

Keep us posted. Re-Read my post as I edited and added a few things.

I use it as an Access Point in one part of the house. I use a Dlink DIR-655 as my main router.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may be a stupid question but the router was on when you reset it right? I just checked and there is no default admin password so that should work.

It was, but I didn't hold it down for 10 seconds like I was supposed to. So it never reset.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Most routers I have here (Linksys, Dlink) will reset even plugged in. The one that will not is the SpaceShip looking older Apple Airport Extreme Base Station! That one is a PAIN to reset. :D

Just a note, I was guessing on the 10 seconds as that works with most routers I have reset, but just checked the manual and it says 10 seconds! Good guess!! :D

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You bet it was. Just reset the router, and it's working! Mom is currently connected to it on my school's Macbook and it's working great. Can't thank you guys enough. Wish I could try it out on my iBook, but my charger is still broken. *sigh* Anyway thanks again! ;D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Most routers I have here (Linksys, Dlink) will reset even plugged in.
Didn't know that. I had assumed that it had to be on and I happened to see this while looking for the default admin password for that router which states that it has to be on.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it working and we could help. Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.