Why such low video resolution?

Reaction score
I am trying to hook 3 monitors to a Macbook Pro. I purchased a TripleHead2Go DP edition, and have them running, but the resolution is terrible. Only getting 1360x768 across them. I called tech support and they said that Apple caps (probably the wrong word) the amount of power the motherboard allows to drive monitors. He said it could do it as a matter of reality, but Apple has dumbed down what should be available. He said get a PC,, that made me mad :Angry-Tongue:

Does anybody know of a 3rd party utility that will allow me to adjust the power settings?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am surprised you got 3 to work at all since most all laptops I have seen and used don't
have enough video card to do the job.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No doubt the same folks who sold him the "TripleHead2Go DP edition". What else would you expect their support to say? Do you really think they would admit their hardware was at fault? ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know that this "TripleHead2Go" device is supposed to allow a user to attach multiple monitors to an Apple notebook computer...but since Apple officially only supports attaching 1 external monitor...when attaching 3 external monitors...something has got to give.

The Macbook Pro only has so much "on-board" video ram...and trying to simultaneously drive 3 external monitors is certainly "maxing out the system"...especially if they are larger monitors. I would suggest trying to run 2 external monitors...and see if that improves things.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.