Macbook hard drive problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Windows expert but I don't know much about Mac. I tried to load Wacom drivers on my daughters Macbook last week and it seemed hung up so I hit the power button. Now it won't boot up, just get Apple logo and rotating circle endlessly. I got a hold of Techtool and the surface scan finds bad blocks.

First, how can I at least try to backup her data, say to an external drive? I don't want to try a repair without the data off the drive. Second what can I use to repair this drive, assuming it CAN be repaired. Macbook is less than a year old and can't believe hard drive might be bad.

Please give me details, I never work with Macs. At least Windows is more forgiving if you hit power.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

As far as repairing the hard drive is concerned, you should be able to do repairs with the original install media which is provided with the machine. Boot from it and run Disk Utility - Verify and Repair.

However, if you have Tech Tools, you can make repairs with it. Which version do you have? Once the bad sectors are repaired, backup the data using Time Machine. (Which you should already have been doing.)

OP
A
Reaction score
Als, not a Mac guy and besides it's my daughters machine. So I stay away from it. But thanks. But I am concerned a repair will cause me to lose data, need a way to at least try get stuff off of it before I repair.

:D:):D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
Take out the hard drive, buy an external enclosure, plug it into another computer and check to if you can see data. Then copy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Als, not a Mac guy and besides it's my daughters machine. So I stay away from it. But thanks. But I am concerned a repair will cause me to lose data, need a way to at least try get stuff off of it before I repair.

:D:):D

It's the exact same way you would on a Windows machine. The hardware is still the same, so a hard drive found in a windows machine is the exact same size / fit as a hard drive in a Mac. Same thing with the RAM, processor (although I haven't heard of being able to upgrade a processor in a Mac).

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the hardware. What I would do on a Windows machine is use a BartPE boot disk and an external USB drive and see if I could copy data.

Someone was telling me you could put the OS on an external drive (he said firewire, how about USB?), boot from the external drive and try to copy the data then.

And Techtool was saying bad blocks, not sectors.;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.