Frozen Screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20"iMac, 2.16ghz dual core
My desktop has just frozen. Whilst I can move the mouse I cannot launch any programmes. The only thing that comes on is Skype which loads automatically every time I switch on or off. I cannot move anything on the desktop even though the cursor moves. I have tried switching on and off several times

Help please!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My desktop has just frozen. Whilst I can move the mouse I cannot launch any programmes. The only thing that comes on is Skype which loads automatically every time I switch on or off. I cannot move anything on the desktop even though the cursor moves. I have tried switching on and off several times

Help please!

Can you give us any additional info...such as:

- does any sort of warning window come up on the screen?
- did you upgrade anything recently?
- have you tried booting from a Mac OS install disk?
- have you tried doing the 3-key combination (command + option + escape)...this allows you to force quit programs that may be causing an issue

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
No warning at all
No upgrades (been working fine all day)
Tried Command Option Escape and comes up with dialogue box but clicking mouse does nothing
I can move the mouse but when I click nothing happens whereas when I used the up/down keys on the dialogue box I could select Skype or Finder and by pressing return got Skype to shut down. And again using the arrow keys I can move between items on the desktop

I have a Leopard install disk but not sure what you mean by booting it?

Thanks

Chris

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I have no idea what caused this but just taken apart the Mouse, removed batteries etc and it is now working! The weird thing was is that the cursor WAS moving - it was just nothing happened when you clicked it. Bizarre!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried Command Option Escape and comes up with dialogue box but clicking mouse does nothing

What programs are listed in the box when you do the 3-key combination...is it just Skype & Finder?

I can move the mouse but when I click nothing happens whereas when I used the up/down keys on the dialogue box I could select Skype or Finder and by pressing return got Skype to shut down.

Yes..this is what I would have suggested. You could try quitting the Finder as well...it will then relaunch.

have a Leopard install disk but not sure what you mean by booting it?

- insert your leopard disk
- restart the computer
- immediately press the "C" key (this will tell the computer to boot from the leopard disk

After the computer boots:

- go to the menu bar
- open Disk Utility
- select your hard drive from the list on the left
- click on the "Verify Disk" button in the window
- if that goes ok...then click on the "Repair Permissions" button

Post back with your results,

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I have no idea what caused this but just taken apart the Mouse, removed batteries etc and it is now working! The weird thing was is that the cursor WAS moving - it was just nothing happened when you clicked it. Bizarre!

So are you telling me that you're using a wireless mouse...and the problem is/was dead or weak batteries???...and now everything is fine?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.