iMac G5 20" - Spinning Wheel

Reaction score
For about 5 months, everytime I restart my iMac G5 20" it takes about 3 full minutes before I can click on anything. However, once that 3 minutes is up, everything works fine.

Until this weekend. Now, after each 2 or 3 clicks (on anything), the spinning wheel pops up and I cannot do anything for 30-60 seconds. I'm running OSX 10.4.11.

Things I've tried:
1. Disk Untilities: Tried to verify and repair disks. Result: It says the disk has errors.
2. Boot into Safe Mode: Tried to do this so I could move some stuff to a disc to save. However, when I hold "Shift" untill the apple screen and let go, the computer just shuts off.
3. Resintall OSX via Boot Disc: Tried an archive and install, before it starts the install a msg pops up that says "Error, please try again"

Not sure what else to try, any help would be appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How much ram do you have...and how full is your hard drive?

- Nick

OP
U
Reaction score
I maxed it out when I bought it 5 years ago...I think 2 gig.

Hard drive space is 120 or 160g total, and I've used all but 25 gig.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. Ram & HD seem to be ok.

When was the last time you repaired permissions?

- Nick

OP
U
Reaction score
repaired premissions? Maybe never, since I'm not sure what that is.

Should I try it now?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
repaired premissions? Maybe never, since I'm not sure what that is.

Should I try it now?

Definitely! Open "Disk Utility"...then click on the button that says "Repair Permissions".

Since you haven't done this before...it may take a while.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, that is one of the things I tried to do. I can't remember the exact wording it gives me, but it basically tells me there are errors and doesn't continue w/ the repair.

In an earlier post you said, " premissions? Maybe never, since I'm not sure what that is."...now you say you have done this before...so I guess I'm getting confused.

Also...why did you link that photo...what are you trying to say? I know what the Disk Utility window looks like...and that photo doesn't tell me anything about your specific situation.

In any case...repairing permissions may or may not be the solution...it was just something to try. Sometimes "permissions repair" can be more effective if you run Disk Utility from a Mac OS install CD/DVD...rather than from the computers internal hard drive.

Also...in the photo you linked...you see that there is another button that says "Verify Disk". You could try that as well to see if your hard drive passes the test.

- Nick

OP
U
Reaction score
I had noted I tried that in my original post, #1 "1. Disk Untilities: Tried to verify and repair disks. Result: It says the disk has errors."

I thought you were talking about something different. But yes, I first verified my disk, but when I tried to repair it it errors out. I didn't mean to include the link, I was just looking at it so I could confirm that's what I had already tried.

So, with that said. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts as to why it will not let me repair the disk nor reload OSX?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, with that said. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts as to why it will not let me repair the disk nor reload OSX?

The next thing I would try is:

- boot your computer from your OS X install disk
- go up to the menu bar & launch Disk Utility
- repair permissions
- verify the hard drive (and repair it if necessary)

Then reboot the computer from the internal hard drive...then post if there was any improvement.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
Are you sure the ram usage is ok? Just because you have 2gb of ram doesn't mean you'er ok on ram.

Can you tell us your page ins and outs after a normal days' usage where you experience such freezes.

If your page ins and outs are of a good ratio, then I can safely assume your hard drive's dying.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My 20" Imac G5 iSight a few months back did the same thing. It was the hard drive slowly dying. New hard drive solved it for me.

Last night I rebooted and it would not boot from the new internal drive but was fine from my external. I Reset the PRAM and PMU and all is fine again.

Which model do you have? Is it a Pre iSight model or one with the iSight camera?

OP
U
Reaction score
I booted from the OS X disk and "Repaired Disk". If found one error, said there were 29 directories instead of 3? Not sure what that means, but it said it fixed, I restarted, and now I'm running at top speeds again!

I almost bought a new iMac on Saturday too. Thanks guys!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I booted from the OS X disk and "Repaired Disk". If found one error, said there were 29 directories instead of 3? Not sure what that means, but it said it fixed, I restarted, and now I'm running at top speeds again!

I almost bought a new iMac on Saturday too. Thanks guys!

There ya go...fixed!:)

Congrats,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
Lots of good insight in this thread. Glad you were able to fix your problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
That's great news! May your G5 live on, those little things are workhorses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.