mac osx server. (php/mysql)

D

design2

Hi guys

This is what im upto i've created http://www.axiscomm.co.nz
the front-end design however now im looking to integrate php/mysql
and make it database-driven so they can login and edit the site themselves.

Basically i've had problems with dreamweaver wizard accessing the database
even though i setup the tables in phpmyadmin.

So I thought it might be easier to setup the site using a local/network testing server. Im using mac osx 10.3.9 and am not sure how to go about it i know apache server is installed and if i turn on web file sharing i can access my computer via the net. My question is how do i setup a local testing server and create a database/tables.

After all that all i will need to do is upload the site once dreamweaver has written all the php/sql like user authentication and add a connections file with the database details i have.

Thanks in advance.
Design2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I'm going to assume you've got 10.3.9 client not server, since the server comes with mySQL preinstalled I'm pretty sure. You'll need to download and install the latest version (or maybe not the very latest, depending on what the setup on your webhost is) of mySQL from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html. Download the installer package and it's got detailed instructions on how to start, stop and configure the mySQL server from Terminal.

PHP is already installed on your machine. You'll find a lot of good articles on how to install/update/activate PHP here: http://www.phpmac.com/

A couple of things to remember once you're done: you'll have to manually start up mySQL (as well as Apache) every time you want to view your local sites that use mySQL. I think there's instructions in the mySQL manual on how to start the daemon every time you log in, but I can't recite them from memory, sorry. Also make sure you give the mySQL root user account a password before you do anything. PHP, once enabled, is on for good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Sorry I forgot you asked about creating databases and tables. I could explain it to you but I'd pretty much just be copying and pasting excerpts from the tutorial section in the mySQL manual. So I'll just link to the relevant section: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/database-use.html

OP
D

design2

when i say create tables i dont really want to hand code.
so i will have to install mysql, is this easy for mac?

what do you know about mambo CMS ?
have you used it?

would it be easier to setup a testing server on my comp then upload once i have everything sorted?

i tried turning on web sharing then going to the given address and opening php pages but they dont show up - just code.

thanks for your help so far..
but its important that i get into some sort of CMS to provide clients with
so what ever is the most common or easiest should suit.

OP
D

design2

ok im installing the mac mysql package.
i also have found out i have Apache HTTP Server Version 1.3 on my mac.
however when i go to phpmac to update/activate it doesnt seem to have my os 10.3.9
but it does has Building and Installing Apache 2.0.54 and PHP 5.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.3.8
should i follow this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Yes, the package for 10.3.8 should work on your system too.

I'm not sure how far you'll get if you want to avoid doing any command line stuff with mySQL... Chances are you'll have to if you want to install a web-based GUI for it like PHPmyAdmin. You could download a normal application for interfacing with the mySQL server I guess (I think there are a couple out there, check versiontracker).

However, if all you want to do is set up a CMS for your clients, it's probably better to install it directly onto your webserver and not bother installing it on your local machine - that'll just be a hassle. Assuming you have something like CPanel to administrate your server, there should be an option to create databases, add users, and grant users permissions to certain databases, all from a web based control panel. Then all that's usually needed is for you to upload the CMS script to your webserver and start the installation (most large PHP applications will provide you with an automated install script).

To make PHP work, you'll need to name all your files with the .php extension. To make sure whether it's working or not, just create a plain text file with the only contents as:

Code:
<?
   phpinfo();
?>

And save it as something like "phpinfo.php" in your /Library/WebServer/Documents folder. Then navigate to "http://localhost/phpinfo.php" and if you get a page of interesting information then PHP is working. If not, then it's not turned on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.