all applications stop working after system update

Reaction score
ok so I have a MacBook- I'm not sure what system I was using pre update but I'm pretty sure it was 10.5 (I cannot go to the "About this Mac" area- more on that below) I was using itunes and for some reason could not burn cds. A friend told me I had to update in order to do so and I went to Apple-software update followed the instructions, restarted and nothing works. Sometimes when I restart safari will work but sometimes it will not. Clicking on any applications (i.e. itunes, garageband, etc) in my dock yields nothing and they cannot be accessed via the applications window either. I tried redownloading Itunes and whenever I try to open the installation package I get the message "Safari can’t open the file “iTunes 10” because no available application can open it."
I also cannot access anything in the apple menu and sometimes trying to will freeze the entire thing. Error Messages get frozen and do not dissapear. And then sometimes the taskbar just dissapears and the computer becomes just my background. please help!!! I do not have backups (I cannot access timemachine because- nothings working) nor do I have my original discs (I got my computer used) Thanks guys!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
FYI... You cannot update online fom 10.5.x to 10.6.x
You can go from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 - for example

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.