PBG417 battery/charger issues

Reaction score
Hello all and thank you for the membership.

I would like to ref this post back to post:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/219462-what-up-my-charger.html

My situation is two fold. I'll give you the history.

First off:

My PBG417 (circa 2003) has had battery problems for about a year now. As I am no longer on the road, I only use the charger to keep the machine up at home, 24/7.

As some may say, "you need to take the battery out if you leave the charger plugged in all the time". I ask, is this so?

Second:

As of yesterday, my charger started acting up. I noticed the green light turn off, screen went dim. I unplugged the connector, replugged it, things were good for a second or two and then the green light went off again and did not come back on. Within less than a minute the computer shut down (because of the lax battery).

I then disconnected the charger and inspected it.

Here is where it gets really good:

I noticed that the small cable coming out of the charger that plugs into the Mac was brown (discolored) at the point where the cable exits the charger module. The module lays on the floor and there is no stress on the cable where it exits the module. I tested the output voltage of the module at the connector to find no voltage. After further inspection of the discolored area, it appeared that the cable was actually burned through.

Disclaimer: The following is something to do at your own discretion.

I then took the charger to a vise and used a hack-saw to open the seams of the charger, revealing the inner workings. I then cut the smaller cable at the point of discoloration, stripped back the outer layer, isolated the two conductors (the cable is like a small co-axial cable), and then connected a volt meter to the output of the charger assembly. Upon applying 120vac, sure enough, I got the 24vdc output from the charger. I made the repair from the charger assembly to the pig-tail and re-connected the charger assembly back to my Mac. All works well now. Also, I have not re-installed the malfunctioning battery as of yet.

So, my next question is:

What do you suppose burned the pigtail of the charger assembly?

Thank you in advance.

regards

- rev -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.