• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why do Mac users constantly have to justify themselves?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB
Hi all,

I have recently started using a mac and have got into a really good game. But when they update it and I get an error I say something on their blog like everyone else does. But as soon as I mention mac the first suggestions are "it's because your using a mac" or "just get a pc". This has happened on several forums with several programs.

I'm sure lots of people get this. I never realised that I had to justify to the world why I bought a mac. Starting to get a bit tired of it now because it's hard to find the helpful answers amongst the crap.

Reaction score
We Mac users justify having one because there is nothing like one. Windows works on multiple hardware variations- Mac OS X works on what Apple designs. There truly is NOTHING like a Mac. Everything works. And if some people don't understand it, let them figure it out.

Reaction score
I never really have felt a need to justify myself yet. I'm new to Mac as well. I REALLY liked Windows 7. Have nothing bad to say about the OS itself, and anyone that says the OS is not competent or doesn't work as well simply doesn't know better. It's the EQUIPMENT that can be troublesome, for me. I don't know much about gaming, so I'm not sure how they work as far as that goes, I only have 3 games for my Mac and very seldom play them. So the use of Macs for that may still yet be difficult I guess?

It's simply not an issue with Macs. OS X is designed to run on a Mac. Macs are designed to run OS X. It works. If you buy something from the Apple store, there are no worries (unless you're running a very old Mac I guess?) You go home. Plug it in. Install it. Whatever you do with it :p and it simply works. I love it, and to me, it's worth everything for that. I don't have to buy a program/component I want, and then worry all the way home "will it work with my particular machine or will there be a driver error?"

Most people who ask why we bought Macs would understand if they ran one for just a week.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Macs are not exactly known for gaming. They can but the hardware for Macs are limited, especially if you are trying to game on a notebook.

Those people are kind of right when it comes to gaming. Get a Windows machine for that. For everything else I would use my Mac over Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I never really have felt a need to justify myself yet. I'm new to Mac as well. I REALLY liked Windows 7. Have nothing bad to say about the OS itself, and anyone that says the OS is not competent or doesn't work as well simply doesn't know better. It's the EQUIPMENT that can be troublesome, for me. I don't know much about gaming, so I'm not sure how they work as far as that goes, I only have 3 games for my Mac and very seldom play them. So the use of Macs for that may still yet be difficult I guess?

It's simply not an issue with Macs. OS X is designed to run on a Mac. Macs are designed to run OS X. It works. If you buy something from the Apple store, there are no worries (unless you're running a very old Mac I guess?) You go home. Plug it in. Install it. Whatever you do with it :p and it simply works. I love it, and to me, it's worth everything for that. I don't have to buy a program/component I want, and then worry all the way home "will it work with my particular machine or will there be a driver error?"

Most people who ask why we bought Macs would understand if they ran one for just a week.

Exactly the reason I switched years ago my friends that had Mac's would always say we don't have that problem when I would complain about something not working and while its not perfect the Apple experience has been better for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Wow, I have to say in all my years using Macs, I never have had a constant need to defend having one. I wonder where all the haters are hiding when I'm around?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow, I have to say in all my years using Macs, I never have had a constant need to defend having one. I wonder where all the haters are hiding when I'm around?

Depends where you hang out. They come in droves and like to attack in gangs of 5 or so. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Whenever someone asks why I ask them why not...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just laugh and point out their virus, malware, spyware and Windows 2000, Me and Vista problems and they will get very defensive.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I always get these sort of comments from my one friend who works at Microsoft. But I always laugh, when he'll disconnect from our voice chat, then he'll come back with "Oh… I … mistakenly kicked my surge protector." I've caught him using that excuse twice!

Another time, he interrupted me mid-sentence with, "I think I'm going to crash, wait a second… Okay, I'm good."

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Another time, he interrupted me mid-sentence with, "I think I'm going to crash, wait a second… Okay, I'm good."
Priceless. That's a classic moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Was that on Chatroulette?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
We Mac users justify having one because there is nothing like one. Windows works on multiple hardware variations- Mac OS X works on what Apple designs. There truly is NOTHING like a Mac. Everything works. And if some people don't understand it, let them figure it out.

OS X works on other hardware configurations; it's just not allowed to be discussed on this board because of the legality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I just don't care. People don't like my Mac? So what? I do. It isn't their computer.

I'll let them slander all they want as well. Not my problem they're ignorant and speak from their "other end."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Lets trade friends for a while! :D I wish most of mine were like yours. Most of my friends constantly run down the fact I am using a Mac and OSX.

Either that or it's something about you that scares them and they are afraid to mess with you! :D

Personally, I do not care what anyone says. I know what I like and what works the best for me and own/use it.

To the OP, try asking on a few Mac type forums like this one and hopefully you will find someone who has some experience with the game you are having issues with and offer you help without attacking your computer of choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Why do Mac users need to justify themselves?
Why to Luxury car owners need to justify their purchase?
2 questions with one common answer. No matter how good the user experience is, people always want the option with the less initial cost. And if you tell people "woah wait a second, the one with the higher initial cost is better" People will be like ***? Explain yourself. How can a higher initial same price equal a better user experience and lower long term costs?

Sure we all know the answer to that one. But many people do not and need to be told the answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.