• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why do Mac users constantly have to justify themselves?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Having to justify myself used to be normal at a time when Apple products were not as popular. I would give my opinion on them, and they would shrug it off. But after a while, they seem to have noticed that everyone else who owns Apple products seem to share the same opinion.

You don't make fun of a Lexus because it's expensive and more reliable, when compared to a Chevy...which are cheap as dirt, and seem to have an affair with the service department! Expensiveness comes with it's territory.

I think it's also noteworthy that most people who mock Apple computers can't even afford them, but they claim they are horrible computers because they are expensive...that makes sense o_O It's not bad because you can't afford it.
"You learn to hate what you can't have, but once you have it, you LOVE it."

Reaction score
OS X works on other hardware configurations; it's just not allowed to be discussed on this board because of the legality.

That's exactly why I said Mac OS X works on what Apple designs. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
No matter how good the user experience is, people always want the option with the less initial cost. And if you tell people "woah wait a second, the one with the higher initial cost is better" People will be like ***? Explain yourself. How can a higher initial same price equal a better user experience and lower long term costs?

Sure we all know the answer to that one. But many people do not and need to be told the answer.

You don't make fun of a Lexus because it's expensive and more reliable, when compared to a Chevy...which are cheap as dirt, and seem to have an affair with the service department! Expensiveness comes with it's territory.

I think it's also noteworthy that most people who mock Apple computers can't even afford them, but they claim they are horrible computers because they are expensive...that makes sense o_O It's not bad because you can't afford it.

I think these two comments are a good attempt at a stereotype. There's lots of people out there running non Apple hardware that's more expensive than actual Apple hardware. Those people are the ones that will easily spend over $500 on just a video card and over $2,000 on a self built PC that has all the latest and greatest hardware, water cooling, etc...

They just don't see the value in proprietary systems.

If you guys would actually sit back and watch Mac vs. PC arguements on other forums, you'd see this.

There are some of us though, that own and use both platforms and products by different manufactures that end up being in the middle of this. Is Apple generally more expensive on price vs. performance? Yes. Is it worth it to those of us who enjoy using the OS and think that it has a more seamless and integrated feel? Yes. Do people that use wintel machines have more freedom of configurations and upgrades? Yes. Do some of use see a better value of performance vs. price than with purchasing a similar Apple computer? Yes.

So from my two contradicatory statements, both the Apple people and the PC people can hate on me.

I'll admit it, I use an Apple keyboard with my self built desktop.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Which is ironic because they build their machines out of proprietary parts.

Such as?

You can choose any mobo you want that will suppor the CPU, memory, GPU, HDD, etc... configuration. Sure, certain boards by be built for certain parts, but that's the design of the architecture. If you don't want an i7 CPU and want an i5, you're going to have to buy the board that supports the chip, but you have choices. You also have choices of which brands and products you want to use as well. It's not an all in one inclusive package you're buying and definitely not very limiting.

Reaction score
Those people are the ones that will easily spend over $500 on just a video card and over $2,000 on a self built PC that has all the latest and greatest hardware, water cooling, etc…

Then there's those that have money to spend, they buy a Mac Pro or an iMac G5 and then completely water cool it.

So far, I'll build my own Wintel PC from my own preference of parts if I want to game or do things on it that require loads of performance, but when it comes to having a daily workhorse, I'll stick with Apple.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're still limited to using parts by a select set of manufacturers. Sure, you choose any combination of parts but there are only so many manufacturers. You have to buy an Intel or AMD processor for example which are proprietary processors. It's not as if you build your own processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You're still limited to using parts by a select set of manufacturers. Sure, you choose any combination of parts but there are only so many manufacturers. You have to buy an Intel or AMD processor for example which are proprietary processors. It's not as if you build your own processor.

My point was that there is a lot more to choose from rather than three or four different hardware configurations (minus the amount of RAM and HDD size) per platform rather than being able to choose from 12 different i7 processors and 20 different motherboards and XX amount of GPUs and different types of RAM and different cooling system and different cases, along with the ability to swap out parts as they need upgrading.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If someone feels the need to justify their "Macintosh-ness"...they're just lacking in self-confidence or self-esteem. We as Macintosh owners know that we're in the minority in the "computing world"...so the majority always thinks that what they're doing is the right way, the best way, or the correct way...etc.

If someone asked me to justify my "Macintosh-ness"...I would just tell them to take a hike...since the reason they're asking me to justify this is they're just looking for an argument...and if they're not looking for an argument...they really aren't going to understand any of your reasons anyway...since they are not familiar with Mac's.

"Normal" people (those that are in the majority) aren't going to understand:

- skydiving
- bungie jumping
- body piercing
- tattooing
- participation in the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon
- mountain climbing
- etc. etc. etc.

In my 25 years of using Macintosh computers...I have never felt the need to justify it...or cared to justify it. I like to use Macintosh computers, the Mac OS, and interacting with other "Mac-Users"...and that's all that really matters!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB

That is one of trueist (not sure if that is a word) things I have ever read. Do you mind if I put that under my favourite quotes on Facebook :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I dont think it so much a matter of *Justifying my Mac use*. I have in the past explained to mates why i use a Mac. Not ever justifying to them why, but in a grown up a adult way let them no why Mac over Win PC ...... Because a Win machine is in nearly every household, people know them and understand them. BC there isnt that may Macs out there, people are wary.
IMO people are scared of the unknown and  is still in the unknown. The way they are going with there iDevices, there slowly getting there and getting the support from the people. But as above, people are always scared of the unknown, so until people understand Macs (i am happy im a minority) OP you will probably be always thinking that you need to justify yourself

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Hi all,

I have recently started using a mac and have got into a really good game. But when they update it and I get an error I say something on their blog like everyone else does. But as soon as I mention mac the first suggestions are "it's because your using a mac" or "just get a pc". This has happened on several forums with several programs.

I'm sure lots of people get this. I never realised that I had to justify to the world why I bought a mac. Starting to get a bit tired of it now because it's hard to find the helpful answers amongst the crap.

Well its kind of irrelevant that they are talking about Mac vs PC they are gamers who constantly bleat about how one system is better than another and have always done this:-

Mac vs PC is just the latest in a long line of

This system is better than this one

Ultimately though buy what you want and dont worry about peoples opinions who you will never ever meet in real life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I've never felt the need to justify it, myself.

I've had a couple people who say they don't like OSX and prefer windows, and that's their choice. And a couple others who say they prefer to play games on their windows PCs because they can customize and upgrade them. Again, their choice, and probably a wise one.

Largely, though, I get a positive response from people jealous that they can't afford their own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Most people I've come across seeing how happy I've been with Macs, while their Win PCs are dying or crashing constantly, pretty much say "I wish I could afford a Mac!"

I also have a friend who has the second gen iBook G3, while her husband is a Computer Tech and Mac Hater.
He has spent the better part of 1hour on that Mac, and to this day he hates Macs without even touching one since then.
Her on the other hand, calls me for help if she ever has a problem, as he is unwilling to even go near it.
First time I met him, he went on and on about how much Macs suck, and couldn't accept that I and many other Mac users don't want to be computer techs, but we just want our computers to work, and allow us to do what we want without studying it.
I stopped entertaining him with the discussion, but he couldn't let it rest, until his wife had to almost beg him to let it go.
Me on the other, I could happily drop it, while looking over at my MBP with it's backlit keyboard shining it's light in the lounge room, with that beautiful display that I could see clearly from the balcony, even though it was at a 45˚ viewing angle from where we were sitting :D

If hating Macs is the what makes certain people happy, good for them. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
because your buying something that offers simplicity at the cost of money, freedom, and choice. just my opinion on the matter, not interested in startin a california size flamewar.
kind of like paying 30,000 dollars to ride the bus instead of buying a car i guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.