Applecare for non-registered MacBook?

Reaction score
Hi,

My macbook is about 11 months old and I would like to buy applecare. For some reason, I cannot register my macbook which is not really a problem for me, as there isn't much point in registering anyway...However, do I HAVE TO register my Macbook in order to register and activate an applecare protection plan for it? Can I have applecare on a macbook that is not registered? I couldn't find anything about this online...As I only have a couple of weeks left, I would appreciate any help ASAP!

Thank you.

OP
K
Reaction score

Thank you but this does not really help me out. I know that this page exists and this is where I tried to register my MacBook. However, the confirmation email never came. This seems to be a common issue though as far as I could see on different forums.
I WILL start thinking about alternative ways to register my macbook once I know that I cannot get applecare without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can ring up Apple Support and do it by phone, otherwise, you can reinstall the OS, and there you will get the registration screen, and done.
Then you just restore your Macbook from your time machine backup, and you are good to go with a registered MacBook :)

C

chas_m

It's amazing to me how people forget about the telephone ... I must be getting old, but I still think the telephone is one of the most awesome inventions ever.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,

My macbook is about 11 months old and I would like to buy applecare. For some reason, I cannot register my macbook which is not really a problem for me, as there isn't much point in registering anyway...However, do I HAVE TO register my Macbook in order to register and activate an applecare protection plan for it? Can I have applecare on a macbook that is not registered? I couldn't find anything about this online...As I only have a couple of weeks left, I would appreciate any help ASAP!

Thank you.
When you register Applecare you give the serial number of the machine at that time. There is no requirement to preregister that I know of--and I haven't preregistered with any Applecare package I have activated.

Remember, though you have a shrinking window here for Applecare. Have to get it before your year is up (I believe that means also it has to be activated prior to your one year anniversary).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's amazing to me how people forget about the telephone ... I must be getting old, but I still think the telephone is one of the most awesome inventions ever.

Can I have an Amen!!!

Not to get too far off topic, but:
Turned off that instant notification in Outlook 10 years ago.
You need something today?
You best be picking up the phone if you want it from me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The only time not to pick up the telephone when you want to get something sorted, done and dusted, ASAP, is when trying to contact your phone carrier! ;P

OP
K
Reaction score

It is indeed a great invention. But, being a foreign student here, I do not have a telephone right now.

Of course I could call them and ask them. But then what is this forum for? And I didn't know you could register via phone;)

And my question remains unanswered...but thanks for the registration tips!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It is indeed a great invention. But, being a foreign student here, I do not have a telephone right now.

Of course I could call them and ask them. But then what is this forum for? And I didn't know you could register via phone;)

And my question remains unanswered...but thanks for the registration tips!
I don't understand how your question remains unanswered.

1) You do not have to pre-register your Mac to get Applecare.

2) When you activate Applecare you will provide the serial number of your Mac and the activation key from your Applecare package and you are done (pending confirmation by email from Apple of your activation)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

Thank you.

Let me explain something. When you buy any Macintosh computer...you automatically get 12 months of Applecare coverage. There is no registering required...because the initial 12 months of Applecare is automatic (just like "Razormac" mentioned above). Apple knows when this computer was purchased (tracked by the computers serial number)...so Apple also knows when the initial 12 months of Applecare runs out.

Now...when you purchase additional Applecare (especially when extended Applecare is not purchased at the same time as the computer)...you have two numbers...the computers serial number & the Applecare code number.

Now is the time you do need to register so that the computers serial # and the extended Applecare code # are "married" so to speak.

So what you need to do is...decide if you want to purchase additional Applecare before the initial 12 months runs out. Once you purchase the additional Applecare...register it immediately...via the link provided above.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Do you know if I would ever need the purchase receipt of the MACBOOK when I happen to "use" applecare? I bought this macbook used, and while I have the shipping order confirmation from the website (Amazon) it was originally bought, I do not have the receipt of purchase and I will not be able to obtain it. Could this ever be a problem?

Thank you so much!

Edit: I just realized my second question was the same as the first one.

Thanks for all the answers everything's clear now:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@ksanyee

Do not start a new post when you can return to the original thread and continue posting. Posting again causes confusion and clutters the forums.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This forum is not owned by nor is it affiliated with Apple.

There is no one here working in their capacity as an Apple employee. We are all regular joe users, just like you.

Your answer to both questions have been provided above. At least, as well as can be by anyone that has no authority to make any statement that would be binding upon Apple.

Since you're already aware of the product registration page, I'll only quote what you have already read there.
Your warranty is the same whether or not you register.

Directly underneath that statement is the following:

Register AppleCare Products
Register your AppleCare Protection Plan and other AppleCare products here.

If you're going to get the extended Applecare, I would suggest you do as pigoo3 has suggested. Go get it and get it registered at that link before your initial 12 months runs out.

OP
K
Reaction score
@ksanyee

Do not start a new post when you can return to the original thread and continue posting. Posting again causes confusion and clutters the forums.

Sorry for the trouble, I wanted to start a new thread because I had a different question (although also about Apple Care) but now I see that it fits in here:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.