DVD burning error message

Reaction score
when burning dvds on my mac book pro i received the following error message:
" The drive reported an error: Sense Key = medium error
Sense code = oxoc
Write error

Is this a problem with the burner or does my laptop not like the type of DVDs that I am using (I have tried various brands)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It could be either to be honest.
Try cleaning the laser with a good disc based cleaner, and then test the discs you are using. If that fails, try high quality media like Verbatim, Imation.
Sadly trial and error with these things, no definitive answer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have seen this from time to time. I've found that DVD+R media (as opposed to DVD-R) seems to yield the best results. I also recommend TDK or Imation media if you can find it. Memorex brand seems particularly troublesome.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It could be either to be honest.
Try cleaning the laser with a good disc based cleaner, and then test the discs you are using. If that fails, try high quality media like Verbatim, Imation.
Sadly trial and error with these things, no definitive answer.

I would actually not recommend the laser lens cleaners as they shouldn't be necessary. The ones I've seen use a little brush that can become detached inside the mechanism or damage the laser in high-speed drives. These cleaner products are descendents of the old tape head cleaners that really did accumulate dirt because they made physical contact with the tape. The laser in an optical drive does not touch the disc. Worst case scenario would be that it accumulates dust - and if that's true, a few quick blasts with a can of compressed air, should be more than enough to clean the lens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
^^ Ok interesting. I have never had issue with them, but everyone has different ideas of course.
The air blast is good too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.